POWERCOATING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POWERCOATING

Hello everyone I'm looking into powercoating my motor cases, cylinders, head and was wondering if the color was aluminum would it turn yellow. I've herd that it might. If is does were can I take my motor to get the factory look back. I have a 82 GS 1100 EZ and I like the factory color on the motor. Black blends into the frame too much. Any help on this matter would help. I'm not into doing it myself all that elbowing I've heard of.

Powder caoting motor

hello

I have researched this idea for myself as I too want to do my engine silver. The powder coating company that will do the work indicated that it may turn a little yellow from extreme heat. Caused by overheating > 300 degrees Ferinhight. The GS aircooled motor does not even come close to that. Do you have a oil cooler, if not it may be a good idea. it will keep your motor cooler and will not cause discoloration.

I have painted a air cooled dirt bike motor with silver PJ 1 silvercase paint caoted with automotive clear not designed for motor use and it took over a year for the motor to start to turn color, so I am sure powder caoting will not turn color.

good luck , Archie

Comment

take a look here guys this will give you more ideas,

I did a complete teardown over the past 5 months or so. My best friend was a blasting cabinet with glass bead...while all the parts were disassembled, I glass-beaded everything, block, head, engine cases, and painted it all with Alumiblast paint. Really makes it all look new, shiny, and it won't rub off! Really good stuff! Word of warning though, be sure to tap all the bolt holes to remove the grit, and flush everything thoroughly to remove EVERY trace of blasting grit. You can check the block and head I did. This is an '81 GS1000GL.

http://www.unisourcetechnologies.com...k_and_head.htm
      ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Paint

Pull the WHOLE engine apart and acid dip it. Use VHT Universal aluminum caes paint. Kat engines didnt have the bottom half of the cases painted from the factory. U can use steel wool to shine the case up if you want.

Comment

A couple of guys I work with and I just had a discussion on this the other day. One of the guys is into custom choppers. He sent his head out to be powder coated. What we were wondering is how about heat dissipation? He's re-cutting the inside of the fins, but I'd be worried about heat and being an air cooled engine.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Comment

Powdercoating is thick. I would think the motor would run quite a bit hotter.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              That's what we were thinking. I wouldn't chance it. On the side covers, ie.. clutch cover etc.. I would think it would be ok, no?

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                That's what we were thinking. I wouldn't chance it. On the side covers, ie.. clutch cover etc.. I would think it would be ok, no?
                I can't say for sure. Powdercoated cases would make the motor run hotter than the stock painted/clearcoated cases.
                How much hotter and if it matters is beyond me.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

engine coatings

Hey guys
                  If your really worreid about overheating you should check out the guys at hypercoat , they apply this coating as you would powdercoating but it is accually to reduce heat and increase power by up to 3 percent. They also coat the inside of engine parts to reduce friction and heat.

good luck, Archie

Comment

Working...
                  X