Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clip-ons for an 83 GS110E?

Ok,
    as I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 1150 fairing that I am going to massage onto my 83 1100E, I am considering whether a set of clipon style bars is a good idea, or if even really feasable? if so, is it merely a bolt on?
    I kind of like the idea of lowering the bars (I am 6'6" and have a very long reach) but wanted to avoid drag bars. any suggestions?

thanks,
    Derrick

can't wait till I have done and learned enough to start making suggestions and offering help!

No help here, of course, as I haven't considered clip-ons, but I too have an 1150 fairing (and an '82 GS1100E). I'm thinking of trying what solosuzuki in Montreal did and cutting it way down to a handlebar mount quarter fairing. I use a Wes Cooley now, but I think that might look slicker (as long as it still works as well).

Is that what you're trying as well? There's a picture of his bike in the "Shaping a new fairing" thread.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I am considering reshaping the fairing slightly, I really like the look that solo attained, but I think I want to keep the fairing frame mounted if possible. I am not sure that my artistic/body skills are good enough to do that kind of work.
      Plus, I need to mount the fairing (just the upper, I think) to really decide what i want to do.

Have you tried to test fit yours yet......any pics?

Derrick

Comment

Check into the Telefix clip-ons.

I just got a set from eBay, and they're 4-way adjustable.

Height, forward/rearward, up/down angle, and length.

The MFR's site is below (it's in German, but I'm sure you can find a local distributor).

Comment

Datona clip-on's on my 1983 GS750ED(with ES bodywork). Great improvement over the E or ES bars. Also multi-adjustable and lightweight.
          Good Luck, Ed.
          Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

Datona clip-on's on my 1983 GS750ED(with ES bodywork). Great improvement over the E or ES bars. Also multi-adjustable and lightweight.
            Good Luck, Ed.
            Those look like they mount on top of the triple, for my 1100E, will I need a different triple or need to shift it down"
            (they look good, by the way)

thanks,
            Derrick

Comment

Thanks, but they are now history as I now have a 93 Katana 750 front end on the bike. The Datona's do mount to the top triple- I am not sure about the 1100, if you have a Superbike style bar then you will need straight clip-on bars. I had the same issues trying to find bars that would work on the Katana 41mm tubes and still clear my ES faring(the factory Katana bars are hideous).

Below is what I found. They are LSL riser clip-ons that mount below the top triple but are just high enough to clear the tank and faring. If all else fails I can give you their info, but they were expensive-about $200. Good Luck, Ed.
              1983 GS750ED

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

Why not get the clip-ons from the 1150 the fairing camer from??
                Dink

Comment

thanks guys, but 2 issues:
                  I had the same issues trying to find bars that would work on the Katana 41mm tubes and still clear my ES faring(the factory Katana bars are hideous).

Below is what I found. They are LSL riser clip-ons that mount below the top triple but are just high enough to clear the tank and faring
                  From a number of websites , it seems that LSL only makes riser clipons down to 41 mm, and my tubes appear to be 37 mm, is there a way around this ( adaptor. shim maybe?), cause it seems that 37mm tubes are way out of vogue and no one makes a riser/offset clipon for them

next, Dink:
                  do the stock clip on bars look like they could be mounted under the triple? I dont have a set yet and cannot really tell from pictures, and there is nothing above the clamp to attach to.

thanks again,
                  Derrick

Comment

The stock 1150 clip ons mount above the top triple clamp, I believe they will happily mount underneath, your other option is Katana clipons.
                    Dink

Comment

You are right, the 83 750 tubes are 37mm. Helibar makes riser bars also-don't know the range of sizes. I did not like them as I thought they were quite ugly.

The 1150 E and ES bars are the same as the 750 bars- they are not real clip-ons, but mount to the top triple and have about a 3in rise to the ES and 5in rise on the E bars. If you use straight-non riser- clipon's you probably run into the same problem I had with clearing the bodywork.

Someone else recently posted about buying clip-ons for 35mm tubes-it was a European company-don't remember the name. Maybe a search for clipon's will produce results- it was a post in the past month or two.

If all else fails, a front end swap could be in order. Good Luck, Ed.
                      1983 GS 750ED

Comment

I came across a bunch of companies that make clip-ons for 37mm tubes. In fact, I foundmine on eBay....

Just Google 37mm clip-ons - you'd be amazed, but expect to spend at least $135.....

Those Telefix clip-ons can be turned up to give about an inch and ahalf of rise. I can adjust mine up and send pictures if you'd like.

-Q!

Comment

OK,
                          couple of things,
                          1) the handlebars for the 1150, althought hte correct diameter, will no work on my 1100E. There is no way to clamp them to the tubes, they are designed to sit on teh stbes and then bolt to the top triple. Coside4ed usning the 1150 triple, but it is wider than mine ( all this stuff will soon be for sale cheap, first here then on ebay)

2) the used telefix bars I bought on ebay are great, but they would not work under my top triple due to my new (for me) 1150 fairing. I had to move the tubesup in the triple about 3/4 inch to allow mounting on top of the triple. Even then, I had to be very careful on positioning to allow turning lock to lock. BUT...I am overall very happy with the new seting position (note I did not say "riding position" as I am still waiting on UPS for my jet kit, so I have had plenty of time to adjust my bars).
                          SOmetime tomorrow, I will go out and get a picture in the daylight and post it.

thanks for all the input and help,
                          Derrick

Still waiting for UPS.................

Comment

I tried this but in order to get the Telefix bars to mount on top of the triple I had to drop the entire front end 1 to 1.5in. This lowered the front end too much and took away ground clearance that I could not afford to loose. This is why I went with the LSL riser bars. Raising the stock tubes in the triples by this amount is huge-be careful of lost cornering clearance.

In my case even though the Katana forks are shorter, I made up most of the difference by going with the 17in front vs the stock 16in wheel.

Good Luck, Ed
                            1983 GS750ED

Comment

Sounds silly, but..how long are your arms?
                              I have a 82 GS1100E with a drag bar, and it's a very long reach.
                              I have long arms. 37-38 sleeve.
                              I'm tossing those drag bars for a superbike bend.
                              Consider the seating position also.
                              On these 82-83 E models not alot of room to move around.
                              The "boys" may not enjoy being jammed against the tank.

looks+function=good
                              Keith
                              -------------------------------------------
                              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                              X