Turn signals for '83 GS750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals for '83 GS750ES

The turn signals on my '83 are looking pretty ratty. The rear two are just shot, one front is OK and one is so so. I'm talking about the black plastic covering on the stalk, not the lens itself.
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket stalk or unit from another bike that would fit and look good? I'll just replace them with sotck parts if need be but I wouldn't mind something cheaper and/or more clean looking.

Thanks!
    Mac

I went to the local dealer and got after market Flush mounts for my rear signals. I didn't like the stock ones. The flush mount look so much cleaner. I have a square recess that doesn't quite get covered up, but I doubt anyone but me notices. I've had them on about 5 or 6 months and have had NO trouble with people seeing them.
    I used the Carbon Fiber look with the Amber lenses. I love em.

Earl also has flush mounts.

edit: IF you really want to keep the stock ones, check e-bay. I saw some recently.

Comment

Dave, you have any pictures of that setup?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I agree: Lets see pics, or ride to my house, one or the other. I want flush mounts too. These foot long turn signal stalks are ridiculous and instantly date the bike.

Comment

i will post pics of my '79 750e

Comment

I run Yamaha YSR 50 turn signals on my '83. But if you look at my signature it may give you a clue as to why, although they look good IMO. It is necessary to change out the 6 volt bulbs Boy they were bright for a millisecond 8O

Comment

I'll mess around tonight and try to post some pics. I lost my Photo Bucket login, so once I get that straightened out I'll post em.

Comment

heres mine

Comment

Comment

Comment

I removed the factory tail reflectors on my '83 750E and installed large teardrop flush mounts (Lockhart Phillips, I believe) on the tail. The factory holes for mounting the reflectors almost lined up - I had to ream one out slightly larger and use a washer on the back. The wires will dress up neatly inside the tail, as well.

That, and I trimmed the fender off of the tail using a dremel cut-off wheel & sanding wheel (coarse), then followed up with 500- and 1000-grit sandpaper for a smooth, flush finish. I had to trim the steel fender liner as well - there are some ups and downs to this, so PM me if you're interested, and I'll tell you how I did it (including the new license plate mount).

I've got a different seat and ES bodywork on it now, and am planning on either installing the same type of flushmounts onto the factory front signal mounts, or cutting the mounts off and flush-mounting the same signals onto the fairing. That, and a set of smallish fairing-mount mirrors if I can figure out a good way to reinforce the fairing so it doesn't crack from the mirrors vibrating...

I felt almost sick cutting bits from almost non-existant 22 year old parts - but it's my bike and I don't ever plan on getting rid of it - so I'm going to have it just the way I want it....

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by vwbeatle1214
                        heres mine

Flip those handlebars over, V-Dub - they're on upside down!!!

Comment

yes but they follow the gauges nicely and they are exactly where they need to be for long rides

Comment

Doesn't the bar angle kill your wrists like that, though?

Sweet bike, BTW.

Comment

vwbeatle, nice bike.

I don't run signals on the front-never installed them when I switched to the ES bodywork 15+ years ago. Going flushmount on the rear, I plan to have them fitted when doing bodywork for paint.
                              Ride On, Ed.
                              1983 GS750ED[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                              X