Term Explinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Term Explinations

Ok I know what a standard, cruiser, crotch rocket, sport tourer and chopper tend to look like, but I want to know what exactly does a cafe racer and a street fighter entail?? I have seen these terms thrown arounf without any real pictures so I am kinda confused. :? :? Is a Cafe Racer like a rat bike or some sort?? Sorry if this sounds amaturish, but I am not into all the different facets of bikes aside from cruisers so I am unfamiliar with some of these terms. Thanks!!

A cafe racer is a very smart looking stripped down naked bike. Looks like its going fast while still on the side stand. Some are real works of art.

A rat bike is a collection of bits, very junky crappy dirty, probably an old tractor part in there somewhere, but it still goes. Some are real works of art.

My mechanic calls his shop Cafe Racer. He still likes older bikes, and he rebuilds Yammy SR500 singles into wonderful bits of high-power minimalist cafe recer machinery that give most sport bikes a run for their money.

Kim

Comment

Cafe racer...low bars or clipons, race seat, rearsets.
      Street fighter...all of the above,plus anything that might make it look cute( silly term really)

Comment

The cafe racer comes from the days when riders would race each other form cafe to cafe back in the '50s and '60s. Normally they were the equlivalent of the Harley and Indian "bob-jobs" - take off what was not absolutely necessary, throw on some clip-on handlebars and a solo seat, do some engine modifications, then go hit the "Ton" or 100 mph..something that was a lot harder to do back then then it is now.

Street fighters are generally sport bikes that have been crashed and the owner can't afford to replace damaged body work so they pull the rest of it off and ride them. "Street Fighter" is just a cool sounding name for "Squid has crashed me and Mom and Dad will not pay for the repairs"

Another term you will hear is hooligan bike. This would be like a naked bike (which used to be called a standard, which before that was called a motorcycle) that has a powerful engine and wheelies easily. An example is the Triumph Speed Triple, Buell XB12S, or a Suzuki GS1100E...

Most of these term come from across the Pond...The Brits have a cool way with slang!

Hap
        Except Simon...

Comment

The S model, not Katana S, but 79 or 80 GS1000S was considered a
          Cafe style. Doesn't mean it has to have a fairing.
          Some of te old Triumphs,BSA, and Nortons were considered cafe racers.
          They were the ones that actually gave birth to the term or nickname.

The Brits would race from one cafe to another, hence the name.
          There's more to it.....one of the bike mags, when they tested a Thruxton, actually did a decent explanation of how the name came about.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Check this site, www.ace-cafe-london.com. It explains everything and has plenty of pics.

Comment

Originally posted by edbot
              Check this site, www.ace-cafe-london.com. It explains everything and has plenty of pics.
              Site was awesome! Thank guys, i think I get it now!

Comment

ratbike.org will show you what the rat bikes are, I think that's what I'm pointed at with mine...

Comment

Oh Groovy!!! Those Streetfighters were awesome looking!! Thanks!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X