ES to E conversion? Hmmmm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ES to E conversion? Hmmmm.

First off I have nothing against bikes with fairings, but I perfer the naked look. I have a nice GS700Es 1985 model. Only has 5100 miles. I would like to remove the upper fairing assembly, and replace it with the headlight from an E model. What all would I need? Is this a bad idea? Should I just sell this bike and get an E model? I would sell the ES faring stuff after I get the other parts in my hands.
    Dave

To do it like the stock setup you need the brackets that fit on the fork legs that hold the headlight on, the headlight, and bucket, as well as some blinkers. The handle bar setups are different I think, but if you're happy with your setup don't bother changing it. Also check your gauge clutster, I know on my 1150 I have 2 different gauge clusters, one for E, and one for ES, but my gauges are fit into my fairing, and I don't think yours are. Be prepared for a drastic difference in wind blast, that little fairing does a lot more then you would think. To test it before you fully commit, you can just take off the windshield, and see how you like it. I go back and forth between E and ES depending on what I feel like, it takes about a half hour to do the conversion, probably less with the 700.

Comment

Makes sense

I forgot about the handlebars and gauges. I'll dabble in collecting the parts, but sounds like a wise man would hold onto the original stuff.
      Thanks

Comment

I switched my bike from a ES to E, though a 1150.

Other things to consider:
        Don't forget the mirrors are mounted on the fairing. I changed my handle bars so I had to get a new front brake master cylinder for mirror mount.

You will also need no get the clutch lever and handle bar assembly that holds the mirror there, too.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Sorry Fern, but for the 700, the mirrors mount on the handlebars on both the E and ES

Comment

if you need any help on what exactly you would need I can take some pitures of my E and sen them too you. If that would help.

I had and aftermarket rifle fairing on mine when I 1st bought it and I actually like it much better with it off. For some reason it caused more turbulance behind the windshield.

Comment

I'm going the other way right now, myself (E to ES).

The headlight bracket for the ES holds the fairing and the headlight, but the E has a 3-piece bracket. One each slides over the fork tubes (you have to lower each leg through the triple clamps to slip the bracket on), and the third (headlight mount) attatches between those two.

The headlight bracket is basically a ring that goes around the headlight, and has the adjustment screws in it for the headlight angle. The two that go on the fork legs are basically like normal headlight ears, but they're made to accept the two 10mm bolts on each side that hold the square headlight in place, instead of a single large bolt on each side for a standard round headlight. These also have tabs to mount the nose fairing to. I believe the ES handlebars are about 1" shorter in rise than the E handlebars, but either will work. The mirrors mount to the bars on both bikes, of course.

The whole mod should take you less than 2 hours including sliding each fork down to mount the headlight ears to. I'd send you some photos, but I modified my brackets to accept a round headlight and cafe fairing.....

Good luck,

-Q!

Comment

Whoops - just looked at the year of your bike. The 700 E's had a round headlight with no nose faring, right?

You can buy universal headlight mounting ears on ebay pretty cheaply - they'll clamp around your fork tubes without having to lower them. Then you can pick up any 7" round headlight you can find - Honda, Kawi, Yammi - doesn't matter. Make sure the headlight has a bucket and ring, so you're not just getting the bulb!!

Nearly all round/square headlights have the same exact plug, so fitment won't be an issue.

That's it - that's all you need. With a little patience, you can probably get everything you need for about 50 bucks.

Then you could sell your ES plastics here - plenty of takers!

-Q!

Comment

Fairing Removal

If you want to sell those fairing parts when you're done, please put me at the head of the list!!!

I'm trying to locate a front fairing mount & the plastic for my 85 GS700ESD. The one I have is fine, I'd like to have a spare to take with me for track days.

Mad Doctor

Comment

Working...
                  X