Naval Jelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval Jelly

I've got an 81 GS1000L I hope to get on the road by summers end, but it needs nearly everything done to it with the exception of internal engine work. I've been reading posts here trying to figure out a good way to clean up the engine. I haven't come across anyone who's said they used naval jelly.

I've used the stuff on aluminum rims for my old Ford. I worked it in with a wire brush, let it sit 10-15 minutes and hosed off. My wheels looked awesome. Almost like new if it weren't for the pits. Has anyone used this stuff on their motorcycle? If so how did it turn out?

It is indeed an often used,little known substance. I have used it for cleaning out a rusted fuel tank ( with a few bolts added to disturb the rust ).
    It worked very well,indeed.

Mitch.

Comment

It's a wonder chem for sure. Yes use it. But keep it off your paint as much as possible. And be sure to not let it soak too long and rince well.

I used mechanics hand cleaner on my rims once with unbelievable good results. You can read about that here if you like: Very Good Spoke - Rim - Sprocket Cleaner

Comment

I've used the stuff on aluminum rims for my old Ford. I worked it in with a wire brush, let it sit 10-15 minutes and hosed off. My wheels looked awesome.
        Has anyone else tried this? It sounds like the perfect thing for shining up my engine block, but I am concerned the aluminum will turn black instead of shiny, seeing as how the active ingredient is phosphoric acid... :?

Mark

Comment

Wear rubber gloves!!

Make sure you wear rubber gloves used that stuff with bare hands and the skin peeled three layers down, ouch!!!

Comment

Re: Wear rubber gloves!!

Originally posted by shortlid
            Make sure you wear rubber gloves used that stuff with bare hands and the skin peeled three layers down, ouch!!!
            Yes, it hurts when it hits the skin.

I'll go ahead and try it then. Will let you guys know in a month or two how it turned out.

Comment

Working...
            X