Is this a Jetting Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a Jetting Issue?

So i have rebuilt the carbs with spec jets (cant recall size) on my '82 GS650 GLZ BUT have now chosen to go a different direction with this build and Bobbify. I have [basically open] Reinhart exhaust and the original airbox with foam filter. Please help me calculate the jets and give me all the recommended settings to tune properly for this setup at sea level (Canadaian west coast eh) with open exhaust. It starts and warms up with choke fine and revs fine sitting but after about 20-30 seconds riding it starts to die then dies. It will start again (barely) with choke but hates running again. I then hit the highway to give 'er heck but it pops, farts and feels like its running on 1 cylinder Then dies again. I had a bike shop check it over for other things and he said he did replace a cracked fuel line and I've now checked fuel lines to make sure they aren't kinked. I've had someone suggest float height which would make sense.
    Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks guys n Gals,
    Trev
    ~~o&o>
    ... from a free frame and wheels and box of parts to a rideable wreck is better than a slap in the belly with a dead salmon anyday eh

Sounds like an ignitor issue
    did it run fine sometime in recent history?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Sounds like an ignitor issue
      did it run fine sometime in recent history?
      Nope. I haven't had it running well on the road yet. Sounds like a hot rod after warm up in the yard and blinking the throttle tho. Take it out on the road and it runs like crap and dies. A dynojet kit has been suggested by 2 mechanics now since it seems like a fuel issue. Stock airbox, open Reinhart Harley racing exhaust. I'm tempted to try the kit.
      ~~o&o>
      ... from a free frame and wheels and box of parts to a rideable wreck is better than a slap in the belly with a dead salmon anyday eh

Comment

Try some mufflers first Then, the Dynojet kit
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
        X