Petrol smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petrol smell

Morning all. Over the weekend I rode from Plymouth (UK) to Thruxton for our local round of British Superbikes. Distance was approx 140 miles each way. Bike ran absolutely great but when I stopped at the circuit and at the rest stop along the way I noticed there was a strong smell of petrol. The carbs weren't leaking but the starter motor cover plate looked damp. I'm thinking I might need to re-set the float heights and replace the float bowl gaskets.
    Anything else anyone can think of? All advice / suggestions gratefully accepted.

Apologies, my bike is a 1978 GS750
    Last edited by erki52; 08-15-2022, 04:37 AM.
    1978 GS750(E) I think

I’d suspect the petcock…or its gasket mounted to tank.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If float height problem, I'd think fuel should drain through overflow tubes & the bottom of the tubes are usually hidden. May be an idea, put bike on center stand, disconnect drain tubes from bowl nipples & run eng. for a few minutes, watching for a drip out of one of the nipples, or possibly a drip off a bowl, if a gasket problem.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Ta muchly for the responses. I will check the fuel tap gasket, the float bowl drains aren't visibly dripping but I will give them a clean off and check.
        1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Float height for me also.... fuel is likely soaking your bowl gaskets and it's slowly evaporating.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Float height would likely muff up how it runs though.
            1986 1150EF
            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Morning all. Might have found the issue, the drain screws are weeping fuel. More so on the left side which would make sense as this side is lower when it's on the side stand.

Found some o rings in work that fit just need to replace the rest and see if things improve.

Thanks again for all the help.
              1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

When that happened to me it was at the core caused by a leaky petcock... As it was a relatively new one I was able to clean some dirt out of the diaphragm and it cured it. If yours is old I'd replace it...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X