Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak Around Headers, Vance & Hines Exhaust

Hi Guys,
    I am getting some leaks around the headers. I picked up these V&H pipes so it is a new fitment for my bike. Besides the exhaust seals inside the ports, what else do I need to seal up the exhaust leaks around the headers? The OEM pipes came with flanges and such.

Just looking for some help.
    Thank you
    JA
    Attached Files

Be sure you get "all" of the old gaskets, and gasket pieces, out before installing the new gaskets. Those things get smashed and cooked in there till they look like a part of the alum., then come apart while trying to pry them out... Also, a trick that works very good for me, replace those bolts with the proper size studs. Makes installing the pipe much easier, as you hang the flanges on the studs then install the nuts, as opposed to having to hold them up there while trying to get the bolts started without cross threading them. Next time removing pipes, much easier to get penetrating oil on the nuts and get them off than trying to get the bolts out of the alum. Also beware tightening those small bolts (or studs) it don't take much to brake them... All just my opinion.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

rphillips, which is the proper size stud and where do recommend I get them?

* Also anyone know the proper torque setting for the headers?
      Last edited by jasonadams74; 10-01-2022, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Not sure of size. Take one of your existing bolts to a reputable hardware store and get a stud the same size, length (including head), and thread size as that bolt
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You could order a set from the UK.
          Dimensions are in the ad.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The studs are M8 x 1.25 ... I don't know how long they are... take one out and measure it.
            Dorman sells studs, available at any auto parts store.

Comment

Working...
            X