Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draining fuel and carbs for winter

Hello all.

I'm not going to be riding my bike ('79 GS550E) for a few months for various reasons, and have decided to drain tank and carbs (as opposed to fuel stabilisation)

I read on here somewhere a recommendation for attaching an air compressor after draining ( presumably to blow out any last bits of fuel). I don't have an air compressor so decided to press ahead and ignore this step. However whilst draining I thought that i might be able to do something by either
    - turning the engine over a few times to suck the last bits of fuel out
    - or getting one of those pressurised air cans (used for cleaning keyboards) and blasting some of that into the carbs.

Any thoughts on the best way to proceed would be most appeciated.

Incidentally when draining the carbs they drained from the brass screw hole as opposed to the little nipple I was expecting. Presumably, they are blocked. Would that of affected draining potential?

Cheers

Phil
    1979 GS550

I personally wouldn't drain the tank and carbs dry.
    You are increasing the potential for oxidisation in the tank and carbs and other issues with the drying out and hardening of 'o' rings, fuel pipe etc which may not recover and require more work with replacement.
    The best method is to keep the fuel tank brim full with non ( or low) ethanol fuel at the very least.
    Ideally start the bike once a week or so and run it long enough to get it hot and evaporate the water vapour by products of combustion..
    That method has served me well for the past 50 years or so, Never used or needed any stabilisers or such like.
    Last edited by zed1015; 12-24-2022, 11:16 AM.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

I do the same, fill it with super unleaded, ESSO or BP Ultra is the lowest ethanol content fuel in my area. Start it up and let it run till it gets hot, i do it every 2 or 3 weeks. Once the warmer weather arrives and its time to ride, just start up and off you go.
      Never used any stabilizers or additives in my bikes, never needed them.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am trying to avoid the periodic starting it up scenario as I will be away. I asked the guy in a shop locally who sells old bikes that stand in his showroom for years and he said he empties tank and carbs
        1979 GS550

Comment

I too like keeping things full as possible. No Ethanol if at all possible, Ethanol is never good for anything and the longer it sits the worse it gets. A full tank will never rust inside because of lack of oxygen. Metal has to have oxygen to produce rust. That being said, a few yrs. back, I emptied a KZ1300 fuel tank and put it in my garage, within 6 wks. the entire inside of that tank was completely coated with surface rust. Also had a wrecked GS1000 sit in an old shed for appx. 12 yrs., completely full of gas and after getting gas out and inside washed out, it looked like new inside. Sold it to a guy here at GSR. Also starting eng. every couple of weeks has got to be good, but many times my bikes sit from Nov. to Feb. or March, and have no problem starting, that's with no Ethanol, I never put Ethanol in a bike for the last few tanks in the fall.... Everyone has opinions, this is mine and it comes with no guarantees.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I fill my tanks to the brim with Chevron 94....start the bikes a couple of times a month. And being in Victoria BC I try to ride them too...
            No signature :(

Comment

If the tank has a liner i see no reason to not drain it. If its not lined i would fill it full as recommended above to keep condensation space to absolute minimum. As for carbs, yes drain them and even if you dont have a compressor blow with your mouth as hard as you can a few times. The point of the air is it will dislodge any fuel in the tiny holes in the jets.. which is the culprit in the spring once it has hardened and plugged them up. I would leave the fuel line off the petrcock and put a tight fitting vacuum cap over the nipple. This will prevent any gas leaking into the crankcase if there should be a petcock failure.
              Some have said to plug the fuel line to keep bugs from getting into the carbs. OK, so youd have to plug the ent lines also if your worried about bugs
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I also fill the tank and ride it a bit on a nice day.
                the little nipple is the overflow, so no gas should come out there when drainy
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks again.

So do I blow really hard into the main fuel line from the tank?

And I'll fill the tank back up with some zero-ethanol fuel before I go as I presume it isn't lined
                  1979 GS550

Comment

yes. the idea is to create air turbulance swirlimg in the bowls to open up the tiny holes.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I recommend using fuel stabilizer in the gas, and filling the tank to the top. Run the engine long enough to get stabilized fuel though the carbs. You can then drain the carbs and not worry about any small amount of remnant fuel in them.

The Suzuki Owners Manual for each bike specifies a storage method. Can't hurt to follow the procedure laid out by the boss.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        I recommend using fuel stabilizer in the gas, and filling the tank to the top. Run the engine long enough to get stabilized fuel though the carbs. You can then drain the carbs and not worry about any small amount of remnant fuel in them.

The Suzuki Owners Manual for each bike specifies a storage method. Can't hurt to follow the procedure laid out by the boss.
                        I now do the same. I had been filling the tank and running the bikes (when I remembered to) monthly but nearly every year I'd have to pull and clean the carbs as they ran poorly in the spring. I wasn't paying attention to the eithanol levels etc ... I will from now on though. I use a stabilizer and drain the carbs (messy job) but I think it is worth it if you can't or won't fire up the bikes monthly. I also disconnect and monitor the batteries on my bikes with a smart charger. Nothing more painful than having to buy a new battery when the old one dies due to a lack of proper maintenance. Ask me how I know.
                        GS550T 1981
                        GS850G 1983
                        GS650G 1982
                        GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Bowing the float bowls dry can cause oxidation from the dissimilar metals in there. Brass Jets in aluminum carb housings. I prefer to use a lot of Fuel Stabilizer, some Seafoam, and fill the tank up with the proper amount of Stabil, and Sea-Foam. This keeps the tank from rusting. Before I start the bike, I drain the float bowls. My bikes always start right up doing this method. If you were going to totally store a bike and wanted no fuels, as this was intending a multi year storage, I would fill the tank with Mineral Oil, and do the same with the crankcase, and brake lines. We did this for General Aviation aircraft, and it really keeps the plane the best way for very long term storage. Thee Mineral is totally reusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                            Bowing the float bowls dry can cause oxidation from the dissimilar metals in there. Brass Jets in aluminum carb housings. I prefer to use a lot of Fuel Stabilizer, some Seafoam, and fill the tank up with the proper amount of Stabil, and Sea-Foam. This keeps the tank from rusting. Before I start the bike, I drain the float bowls. My bikes always start right up doing this method. If you were going to totally store a bike and wanted no fuels, as this was intending a multi year storage, I would fill the tank with Mineral Oil, and do the same with the crankcase, and brake lines. We did this for General Aviation aircraft, and it really keeps the plane the best way for very long term storage. Thee Mineral is totally reusable.
                            Any gas in the float bowls will evaporate during storage. That's why it's a good idea to dump it out, or maybe run the bike until it stops, then dump out the remnants. Filling the crankcase with oil, up to the filler, is mentioned in the owners manual. I'd fog the cylinders too. What I would NEVER do is put oil in the brake system. NO, NO, NO. Change the brake fluid if you are worried, to get any water out of the system. But never add anything other than brake fluid to that system.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I emailed Berrymans about whether thier additives such as fuel system cleaner and fuel injector cleaner would damage composite motorcycle floats and they say no. So "theoretically" in the spring you could fill the carbs with a can of sauce and let them soak a while to dissolve any varnishing. I have some old floats and am tempted to buy some and submerge a float for a few days just to see what happens to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X