Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Trouble

Hi all,

New to bikes and im a pretty terrible mechanic, if there is a general starting issues thread I would be happy to read and work through that if someone can point me there.

Grabbed a gs750t off marketplace that ran well at the time and after bringing it home it worked well for a couple days till I tried troubleshooting some electrical problem but that was resolved (left blinker didn't work but was fixed after rewiring a crimped ground cable). After these electrical issues I had trouble starting, jumped it and had no issues after that. I noticed the oil was low and figured I should change it - everything went okay till I was putting the cover back and of course I broke a stud, ordered a new one and it arrived about a week later.

So, one week later, oil cover was put back on, filled w oil, battery connected to my car battery, bike tries to start but just can't seem to catch. I took a look at the spark plugs and it seems to be weak although I'm not a good judge. Added a new battery that I ordered when I was messing with the electricals earlier but same issue. I don't even know where to start, it has been stormy some crazy downpour the last couple days and I keep my bike outside under a tarp, could the added condensation/humidity have made my gas bad? Plan on spraying starter tomorrow to see if it will start but figured I would ask if there is a general or something to troubleshoot so I'll have something to follow in case it fails.

Thanks to all who read!!

Personally can't help you, but you've come to the right place. Welcome.

What year is your 750T?

Motorcycles don't belong out in the rain (see my avatar).
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Did you put the pet-cock on PRI. for a minute or so, then try it. Simplest thing first, also full choke and don't turn the throttle at all.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome.

When the bike sits for a while, fuel in the float bowls dries up, requiring one to turn the petcock to PRIME for 30 seconds or so, then back to On. This is to refill the bowls. Try this before the starter fluid.

If you put new gas in the tank recently and have been running the bike, no, it did not go bad in a few weeks. If you’re getting spark, and, If the bike does starts or at least sputters when you try the starter fluid, then it’s likely the carbs needing a full clean. Follow the steps in Ed Ness’s (Nessism) CV carb cleaning tutorial found on BikeCliffs website. No shortcuts in carb cleaning. Of course your petcock could also be malfunctioning.

My bike was also very hard starring until I had the carbs thoroughly cleaned, new orings. Ever since, starts very easy every time.

If you need, also on BikeCliffs Website you will find a Factory Service manual for the GS 750 16 valve bikes and a supplement specifically for the 82 750 T& E (83 T is essentially the same as the 82.

Tell us if the cabs have pod filter on them or do you still have the factory airboxes and filter.

Do you know any of the service history of the bike, particularly are the valves clearance in spec? This should be next on your list to check.

How old/worn are the tires?

How are the brakes. Check the color of the fluid in the front master cylinder. Does it look like honey, or like molasses. Does the front brake function well, or is the lever feel kind of squishy. check the front brake pads, are they near their limit? Your front brake hose is likely original, think about replacing with braided stainless when you do work on the front brake.

Rear brake is a drum, others will groan at the thought. Just part of owning a T. It should work and will lock up the rear wheel if needed. Make sure it’s adjusted properly and working well.

Lots of other things to think about, but that should get you started.

Just wait till you get into the the charging system. That’s the fun stuff.

Also, we NEED pictures. Have to know if it’s the 82 maroon/red, 82 or 83 black/gray, or the 83 black/red.

Best of luck. We’re all here to help. Well, most of us anyway.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-02-2023, 10:14 PM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Check all the ground wires and live wires from the battery to where they terminate, it's a must as Suzuki used to rely on threads to ground their bikes, and often the ground straps terminated on painted surfaces. Oxidation built up on the threads, and this weakened the ground. All of the other advice given so far is spot on. When you get this running, you will have a very nice riding bike.

Comment

PS - Hard starting after sitting more than 2 weeks is not uncommon with these bikes. At least with mine. A really, fully charged battery helps.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Did you put the pet-cock on PRI. for a minute or so, then try it. Simplest thing first, also full choke and don't turn the throttle at all.
              I recall the GS Wisperer guy telling me that putting the pet-cock on prime won’t do anything unless you also apply some vacuum to the pet-cock. So if you put it on prime and crank the engine over a few revolutions that will send a few puffs of vacuum to the pet-cock to open the internal valve. Then the valve will stay open until you take it off prime.

Well, that’s the way I understood how it works.
              Any one else heard it that way?
              Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
              1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
              1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Thinking that is for the "80" model leverless ones with no RES., but it sure couldn't hurt to give it a spin while on PRI. Hope stossboss returns to keep us informed.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I think you’re right, rphillips. The lever petcock on the T needs no coaxing to flow free on Prime. At least mine doesn’t.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yes, I'd forgot or never knew how those awful things worked, it was explained on a thread here at GSR sometime within the past couple of months... It amazes me how much I never knew or once knew and have forgot.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions

It was as simple as petcock to prime, choke engaged, and not jamming the throttle open... Took the battery off the charger and no need for car battery connection. Retarded me thought the petcock wrote out "PRK" and assumed it meant "park" as a suzuki way of labeling "stop" as I saw on an older yamaha petcock. It's the 82' maroon/red, 18k miles not in great aesthetic shape https://files.catbox.moe/pwk38d.jpg (and thats the good side, other side has some big dents).

As for service history and the like... I recall the seller claiming the carbs were rebuilt recently, I should have brought a notebook because I forgot everything else, I'll give the guy a call he was very helpful. I'll leave the battery in overnight, tomorrow morning check the brake mechanisms, try to start it and ride to work - I imagine if it doesn't start then there must be some deeper electrical issue in addition to user error.

Uses stock airbox filter and tires have a lot of life left on them.

And again I am tremendously grateful for your help, I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

Comment

Love it when things work out good, congrats...Remember to put the pet-cock back to the "ON" pos. leaving it on PRI. is a big NO,NO.

Comment

Nice. I Love it when a plan comes together.

my bike looked much the same when I got it about 18 years ago.

with the help of the good folks here, it now looks like this and runs like a top.

When you’re ready, we can discuss how to post pics on the forum. There’s a link in my signature for that too- using Flickr/Imgur.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Thinking that is for the "80" model leverless ones with no RES., but it sure couldn't hurt to give it a spin while on PRI.
                            Good catch on the ‘80. I didn’t realize that the “T” used a lever.
                            I learn something new every day on here. Thanks.
                            Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Welcome. A quick note on the tires. A lot of tread doesn't necessarily mean good / safe. As tires age the rubber hardens and available traction is reduced. They should have a date code on the sidewall. I think the consensus is that over 5 years is pushing your luck.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X