79 GS850 choke knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 choke knob

The knob on my bike will not stay in the out position when I am trying to do a cold start. Very awkward as I have to hold the the clutch in with my left hand while pressing the starter button. When I turn the choke knob to the right is briefly holds but retracts before I can start the bike. Seems like the "friction" or whatever required to keep the choke engaged is not working properly. Sounds like an easy fix but my addled old brain can't get it sorted out. Anybody with a quick fix?
    Jonesz
    Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
    1978 GL1000-naked
    1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
    1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

This question comes up regularly. Answer is, the bezel at the base of the knob can be tightened to affect the friction holding the knob out.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Gotta hold it with your teeth.

Isn't there a knurled ring you can tighten at the base of the pull-out stick where it enters the steering head/ center of the top triple? My bike has it on the left control, so no direct experience. Ah, maybe I'm not thinking of yours correctly, but that's how I thought they worked.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

A problem that was never there when the choke was on the carbs...Then they fixed the problem that we never had and this is what we get... Go figure.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Put a clothes peg under the head of the knob.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Just got back on site as I was tied up yesterday. After fiddling around I discovered that I was not pulling the knob out far enough before trying to lock it into position. There is a bit of a detent when it is pulled past the point which I had been using and it will now catch and hold as it was designed. Will also check the ring at the base of the knob and throw a clothes pin into the kit as a back up. Thanks for the help all. It appears you can "teach an old dog new tricks"!!
            Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
            1978 GL1000-naked
            1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
            1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Put a clothes peg under the head of the knob.
              Haha that's similar to what I did on a 66 Vespa. Actually I used a wheel weight off my Norton. Worked but then I fixed it properly.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

My 81 GS850GT had the same problem of the choke knob having insufficient friction and just sliding back down on it's own. If you pull the choke out fully you will find a small rubber boot over the knurled adjuster ring which, if turned clockwise, should increase friction on the stem. This adjuster is plastic, as are all the other associated parts, so extreme care is required not to bust something! After 40 years of service the parts were worn to a level where not enough friction could be obtained with the adjustment ring tightened as far as it would go without stripping the thread.
                I solved the problem by making a small cone made out of .010" aluminum shim. This shim I placed over the cone under the adjustment ring. It helps to remove the handlebar pad (Fig 52 Ref No 27 in parts catalogue) to do this work. Works like a charm now with lots of friction on the choke stem.
                Last edited by WonderPlum; 09-12-2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X