Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 550L - Pods + 4into1

Hi All

in effort to make it simpler to work on my bike and take parts on and off, I’m considering podding my 550L. I already have a Mac 4 into 1 with performance baffle.

my question is does anyone know what K&N pod filters would work?

and any guidance on pilot/main jet sizing, pilot air screw turns, and needle height?

Nessism was kind enough to confirm a 1982 GS550 Dyna Jet kit works for my year. Thanks!

thank you
    Last edited by jboge123; 05-16-2023, 10:58 PM.

Have you read the Pipes, Pods, Panic! Stickies above?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yessir, I have. I messaged Dyno Jet for a kit since they technically don’t offer for the kit 1980 550 but they do for the 1982 (which has the same BS 32 carbs).

I was trying to find a part number for the k&n pod filters as I’ve heard that pods 1 and 4 may hit the frame if not properly sized

Comment

The dynajet kit is gonna sort your main jet out but they don't come with pilot jets. I'm one size up and still not rich enough, installing another size up tomorrow and hoping to be in the ballpark. That's two sizes up from stock, in line with the info found in the stickied pods thread

Comment

I don't understand why they don't include pilots. The Six Sigma kit does

Comment

SixSigma!!! Best out there I have found that works very good with little or no other changes. Good price too.

Comment

I do have the six sigma kit for a stage 2 setup. I’m saying screw it to the pods since I can’t find any online examples of ones that fit my 80 550L without hitting the frame. Looks like futzing with the stock boxes will be the way

Comment

Dynojet has a proven track record. They don't need new pilot jets because their jet kits come with a new adjustable needle, that has a lot more taper than stock. Six Sigma kits don't come with a needle. Regarding what pods, K&N makes, or at least they used to, some that fit the 550 nicely. I think they were a dual pod kit, where one filter fit two carbs. You might want to search the archives for more info...
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Dynojet has a proven track record. They don't need new pilot jets because their jet kits come with a new adjustable needle, that has a lot more taper than stock. Six Sigma kits don't come with a needle. Regarding what pods, K&N makes, or at least they used to, some that fit the 550 nicely. I think they were a dual pod kit, where one filter fit two carbs. You might want to search the archives for more info...
                  Thats what they say, but my motor needed bigger pilots, two sizes up, I could not get it to ride decent at low throttle until I got bigger pilots. But I think the 80's engines where setup pretty lean from factory if what I've read is true.

Comment

'80s machines were very lean. Once hot though, they ran great, "lean is mean". I don't like pods, they don't take out enough particulates and cause premature ring failure (over the long haul, shorter if you live in a sandy area, and don't keep up with the oiling). I would have stuck with the stock air cleaner system. Also, you will lose all that lovely mid range power that Suzuki is known for, and your bike, which is only 550 cc's will become peaky, and you will have to rev it a lot more to get anywhere. Nessism​ is right, you raise those needles, you will be surprised what a different that makes.

Comment

Well I have gone ahead and installed a stage 3 dynojet kit in my carbs, purchased the dual pod k&ms. Once I set it up I’ll report back. Another member here had great success with his 550 in the same configuration and I’m using the settings he’s suggested

Comment

Useful theory when jetting is required, it's for VM's but CV theory is similar, exception being vacuum pulls the slides up rather than a cable. In the early 80's raising the needle was the shortcut to lean pilot jets, all it did was allow main jet siphon at smaller carb openings, a patch, not a fix, larger pilots were needed but to pass emissions mfgs ran lean pilots. Emission testing was done below 3k rpm thus the very lean pilots, main jet sizes always produced a sub 13-1 afr in stock configuration.
                        Until retiring recently and selling my dealerships I used Six Sigma 10 to 1 over dynojet. Price, model availability and performance were key drivers. Having a dyno was key to determining the real afr and transition mixtures. OTC jet kits get you close.
                        I watch the forums but don't post often, but a properly jetting and tuned machine makes an enormous difference in enjoying the ride. It's not easy that's why everyone isn't an expert. The Mikuni VM and BS carbs are actually really great when working properly!

Comment

After putting the bike away 3 years ago and it not starting, the bike fired up with about 1/2 choke very nicely. Unfortunately, I had put the oil filter gasket on poorly and oil gushed out (with an aluminum baking pan underneath thank God!) and I also had a consistent drip of fuel coming out of carb Blogs So I shut the bike off rather quickly. The good news, the bike starts and without the help of starter fluid or having to throttle on it. Quite pleased. Now on to fixing the carb leak.. might be a needle valve. I’ll have to do a wet test

Comment

Working...
                          X