No announcement yet.

Unfortunately, another pod post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't the "air corrector" negate the benefits of wide open pod breathing?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
      one more view for those wondering...

Resized_20230703_194147.jpg
      sleeper mod. No screwing with carb side. Genius.......
      Reduveced chance of crosswind temp buggering intake balance.

Id see if any small footprint flat auto filters could be adapted.
      Hell you could mod micture by sliding in varying porosities of media
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Doesn't the "air corrector" negate the benefits of wide open pod breathing?
        No!
        How do you come to that strange conclusion ???
        You get the same unrestricted air flow without the associated off idle hesitaton / bogging and that's it..
        The air corrector ( main air jet conversion ) targets the cause of the off idle lean spot without detrimentally affecting the rest of the fueling curve and power unlike the grossly ill concieved method of just throwing more fuel at the issue that continues to be inflicted by those who have no idea what they are doing.

A quick explanation..

When you remove or significantly de restrict the airbox, the off idle bogging / hesitation that results is caused by higher atmospheric pressure in the venturi and over the needle jet ( more air volume but moving slower ) ...
        This impedes fuel delivery from the needle jet tube at just off idle rpms and creates a noticable lean spot which manifests as a drop in power around 2000 rpm.
        Contrary to what many believe this is not a pilot jet or needle jet issue but on the transition between the two which is the area the air correctors have the most effect...
        The misguided method of fitting larger pilots and lifting the jet needle as a "cure" only serves to over richen the entire lower to midrange fueling and mask the issue which also reduces mpg and top end power by up to 25% in the process..
        The effect of the air correctors feather off proportionately as the revs rise which maintains the correct A/F ratio at higher rpms and results in a sharper throttle response, increased mpg and overall power by 2 to 6 hp on average.

If you look at Mikunis performance VM29/33 smoothbores that are designed to run open without an airbox you will see that they already have a main air jet (at 6 'o'clock in the carb mouth) to tackle this issue in exactly the same way.
        This jet is available in several sizes to allow for very fine track adjustment.
        ( The later Mikuni TMR's etc actually have an air screw type adjuster for this rather than changable jets for quicker and easier tuning )
        Unfortunately this jet ( BS30/97 ) is only m4 thread and the un-drilled air passage in the stock VM is already just over 4mm so they cannot be used.
        For the stock VM i had to make them larger at m5 and the air passage simply needs tapping to suit.
        Last edited by zed1015; 09-02-2023, 07:08 AM.
        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

zed1015​ based on what you posted, he would benefit by putting spacer plates to isolate middle carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            zed1015​ based on what you posted, he would benefit by putting spacer plates to isolate middle carb.
            I have no idea what you are talking about. but at a guess. NO!
            Last edited by zed1015; 09-01-2023, 07:26 PM.
            VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

sigpic

Comment

If your answer is "No", then the basis for your whole theory is "No". The scavenging by the two outside pods make the center pod suck much more chaotic.

This whole set up is bad in any event. He would be better making a Chamber for each pods to have the air coming in from the front, having made 4 larger than the Pod Filters, as large as possible, so that they fit, then use PVC or even sheet metal and have 4 isolation tubes mount to the sheet and have the air come directly into the pods, through individual cylindrical openings.

You answer "No", but write you don't understand what I mean. This whole set up stinks. Make a flat plate with 4 holes and mount the cylinder (in the tube sense), You would (SIC) get the same unrestricted air flow without the associated off idle hesitation / bogging and that's it. Sound familiar? See pic below. Intake Isolation.jpg

Comment

If your answer is "No", then the basis for your whole theory is "No". The scavenging by the two outside pods make the center pod suck much more chaotic.

This whole set up is bad in any event. He would be better making a Chamber for each pods to have the air coming in from the front, having made 4 larger than the Pod Filters, as large as possible, so that they fit, then use PVC or even sheet metal and have 4 isolation tubes mount to the sheet and have the air come directly into the pods, through individual cylindrical openings.

You answer "No", but write you don't understand what I mean. This whole set up stinks. Make a flat plate with 4 holes and mount the cylinder (in the tube sense), You would (SIC) get the same unrestricted air flow without the associated off idle hesitation / bogging and that's it. Sound familiar? See pic below. Intake Isolation.jpg

Are you on drugs ???
                Those air box pic's have nothing to do with me and i have not posted any "theory" regarding them or even commented on them..
                My answer detailing the function of the main air jets was in reply to ROB S'squeryand the information contained in that post is FACT not theory .
                A theory is an idea that hasn't been proven whereas the air correctors have and if you are still in doubt you should take it up with MIKUNI and other carburettor manufacturers such as Weber and Solex etc who have included them in their assemblies for over 40 years.. Or maybe just Google - Air correction jet or Main air jet ..
                Your random post cryptically quoting me gave no indication as to the subject you were refering to so i had to guess by the wording it contained and the previous unconnected posts.
                As for the three pods on the air box serving four cylinders, it makes no difference how many individual inlets there are serving the airbox's void as long as they provide suitable airflow to constantly maintain the airbox's internal capacity ( which is NOT divided ) and to serve the engines demands and if they flow the same or similar to the stock set up then air correctors won't be needed.

Any further comments on the design should be directed at the airbox pic's OP UNFOCUSED who doesn't appear to have any problems with the airbox mods he has performed and i don't see any reason why he should..
                Last edited by zed1015; 09-02-2023, 07:43 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you posted this:

.............When you remove or significantly de restrict the airbox, the off idle bogging / hesitation that results is caused by higher atmospheric pressure in the venturi and over the needle jet ( more air volume but moving slower ) ...
                  This impedes fuel delivery from the needle jet tube at just off idle rpms and creates a noticable lean spot which manifests as a drop in power around 2000 rpm.
                  Contrary to what many believe this is not a pilot jet or needle jet issue but on the transition between the two which is the area the air correctors have the most effect...
                  The misguided method of fitting larger pilots and lifting the jet needle as a "cure" only serves to over richen the entire lower to midrange fueling and mask the issue which also reduces mpg and top end power by up to 25% in the process..
                  The effect of the air correctors feather off proportionately as the revs rise which maintains the correct A/F ratio at higher rpms and results in a sharper throttle response, increased mpg and overall power by 2 to 6 hp on average
                  .................​
                  No!
                  How do you come to that strange conclusion ???
                  You get the same unrestricted air flow without the associated off idle hesitaton / bogging and that's it..
                  The air corrector ( main air jet conversion ) targets the cause of the off idle lean spot without detrimentally affecting the rest of the fueling curve and power unlike the grossly ill concieved method of just throwing more fuel at the issue that continues to be inflicted by those who have no idea what they are doing.

So I see this was just mental self gratification (the word I'd like to use would probably edited). Considering you had so little to offer to the OP, you sure posted a lot of words. Stiff upper lip an all that. Cheers, it's all good. I don't run pods, they are stupid.

I run velocity stacks on my race bike, and on my '73 MG Midget, I run Side Draft DCOE 40mm Weber on my highly modified 1275 cc Midget engine, with a 10 degree more duration Kent cam, forged pistons, Moly Rods, etc.. I will be changing the intake for the Webers to suck air in from outside the car, and not the engine bay. Maybe you might want to check out the Vintage Suzuki site in your country. Those guys know how to build bikes.
                  Last edited by Suzukian; 09-02-2023, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Considering you had so little to offer to the OP, you sure posted a lot of words.
                    The original OP asked for pod jet kit recomendations which is exactly what he got in as few words as needed in ONEreply and he has now acted on it .
                    The airbox has no real connection to the OP.s first post and i never commented on it.
                    My one other reply ( to anyone but you ) was in response to a direct question to me from ROB S and not just posted indescriminately for the sake of it so please get your facts correct and free from exaggeration.
                    Randomly quoting my answer to ROB S and then trying to form a loose relevence to the totally unconnected airbox post makes no sense and if it does to you then you have made a very poor effort to convey your logic and until i develop the power to read minds i will remain forever baffled as i suspect everyone else will too..
                    Non of my answers prior to your surreal interjection referred to, responded to or even acknowledged the airbox post in relation to the air jets or any other matter so frankly i still have no idea what you are on about and if anyone else reading this can enlighten me with a coherent explanation on what i seem to have missed please pray tell.

Last edited by zed1015; 09-02-2023, 10:40 AM.

sigpic

Comment

I think that airbox mod, with three pods, is kind of nifty. Very unique. It reminds me of guys running airboxes without the lid installed (a different type of airbox than this version.) The 1100E guys do this all the time.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, I have (APE) pods, and I have NO "off idle bogging or hesitation."
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post

The original OP asked for pod jet kit recomendations which is exactly what he got in as few words as needed in ONEreply and he has now acted on it .
                          The airbox has no real connection to the OP.s first post and i never commented on it.
                          My one other reply ( to anyone but you ) was in response to a direct question to me from ROB S and not just posted indescriminately for the sake of it so please get your facts correct and free from exaggeration.
                          Randomly quoting my answer to ROB S and then trying to form a loose relevence to the totally unconnected airbox post makes no sense and if it does to you then you have made a very poor effort to convey your logic and until i develop the power to read minds i will remain forever baffled as i suspect everyone else will too..
                          Non of my answers prior to your surreal interjection referred to, responded to or even acknowledged the airbox post in relation to the air jets or any other matter so frankly i still have no idea what you are on about and if anyone else reading this can enlighten me with a coherent explanation on what i seem to have missed please pray tell.

If you want to speak to one person, send them a P.M., the notion that you were responding to one person in an open thread, and expected no responses on your explanation is ludicrous, as Rob S. stated
                          Well, I have (APE) pods, and I have NO "off idle bogging or hesitation
                          seems to vindicate my response. Either there is side boggling, or there isn't. Also, not responding the OP's original post is called "Off Topic", it is not within forum etiquette, and if you post up half baked explanations of tried and true theories, you will be called out on it. He may have been better off putting one big oval filter covering all 4 holes, and mounting that, removing the side pads of the air box completely, maybe. Boggling would not be an issue as the chamber inside the one filter would have been a reservoir for all the carbs to suck air from. Not one instance of exaggerating. I actually kind of agree with you.

Those Pod filters let is too many particulates, adding even more, well, they're your rings, you can destroy them if you want them. Foam dipped in oil is better. The original air box is best for filtering, for high performance racing where longevity is not an issue, just run velocity stacks. Run trombone type tubes to the front and get nice clean air from the front of the bike. With some finger holes, you may be able to play a tune.

Comment

If you want to speak to one person, send them a P.M., the notion that you were responding to one person in an open thread, and expected no responses on your explanation is ludicrous, as Rob S. stated seems to vindicate my response. Either there is side boggling, or there isn't. Also, not responding the OP's original post is called "Off Topic", it is not within forum etiquette, and if you post up half baked explanations of tried and true theories, you will be called out on it. He may have been better off putting one big oval filter covering all 4 holes, and mounting that, removing the side pads of the air box completely, maybe. Boggling would not be an issue as the chamber inside the one filter would have been a reservoir for all the carbs to suck air from. Not one instance of exaggerating. I actually kind of agree with you.

Those Pod filters let is too many particulates, adding even more, well, they're your rings, you can destroy them if you want them. Foam dipped in oil is better. The original air box is best for filtering, for high performance racing where longevity is not an issue, just run velocity stacks. Run trombone type tubes to the front and get nice clean air from the front of the bike. With some finger holes, you may be able to play a tune.
                            Still have no f**king idea what you are talking about and you persist on quoting the airbox post which i have never discussed and don't care about and now you are bleating on about destroying MY rings which haven't been mentioned anywhere either.
                            You have no idea what filtration methods i use on my road and race machines so where did you conjure that from ???
                            Do you have any idea what you are talking about , "SIDE boggling " what the hell is that ???? . Clearly not!
                            And as for forum etiquette, you are the poster that is repeatedly persuing an off topic subject, Not me..

Last edited by zed1015; 09-04-2023, 11:16 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Well, I have (APE) pods, and I have NO "off idle bogging or hesitation."
                              Try Senna pods they make you go fast.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post

Still have no f**king idea what you are talking about and you persist on quoting the airbox post which i have never discussed and don't care about now you are bleating on about destroying MY rings which haven't been mentioned anywhere either.
                                You have no idea what filtration methods i use on my road and race machines so where did you conjour that from ???
                                Do you have any idea what you are talking about , "side boggling " what the hell is that ???? . Clearly not!

Meant "Bogging", not such a quantum leap considering your spelling. Do you read what you post? I never posted anything about your bike(s), ever hear the expression "you in general". "My, thou dost protest too loudly!".

Bye! Have a nice life.

Comment

Working...
                                X