Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100E fuel level sender float retention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E fuel level sender float retention?

The plastic float came off the gas tank level sender and was banging around in there. I successfully fished out the float. I'm going to have to pull the tank and remove the sender unit to reinstall the float. What I can't figure out is what holds the float on the rod? In the schematics I've viewed, a clip or something similar isn't shown. I'm assuming that I'll need a new gasket for the sender but am unsure if there is a retainer clip that I'll also need. Thanks for the help.
    1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
    2000 XR650R, plated

Does it look like this setup from eBay? I’d guess the rod snaps in a slot in float ..and maybe epoxied..
    but I’ve yet to investigate !

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not a retainer clip as such is used. The float rod is round.....but flattened where it exits the float... A very thin washer is (normally) held in place between the float and the flattened rod end. Easy fix.....a thin washer..with hole just big enough to slip over flattened end... You could squeeze the washer so hole is now oval and no way to come off.....or....couple of wraps of locking wire....with or without washer.....you will be good.

The rubber gasket.......really is durable. I have re used some with no bad results. You might be lucky there too.

Comment

Working...
      X