1982 GS750T Idles high on choke and then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750T Idles high on choke and then dies

I have a 1982 GS750T that I've ridden on and off for about 5 years. It's always run great once it got going but would be very difficult to start if it sat for more than a few weeks despite using ethanol free gas. It would also rev up very high on choke and I would have to slowly back off the choke to keep it from revving up to 5k.

I recently took the carbs off and cleaned them thoroughly, I replaced two of the pilot jets that got pretty mangled in the process of removing them, replaced the bowl seals and o-rings on the needle valves, and cleared out all the passages.

Now the bike will start with the choke on, rev up to about 5k, and then slowly die. It will also sometimes start without the choke but runs rough and will still eventually die. The bike ran well before this and I did not alter the mixture screw at all. Nothing should have really changed that drastically. I have the stock airbox, checked the valves a few years ago, and the intake boots seem to be in good shape.

If anyone has any advice on where to start it would be very appreciated.
    1982 GS750T

First paragraph says very hard to start after sitting a few weeks. Wondering if you used the PRI on pet cock. My CB1100F has your problem but they have no PRI nor any other way to prime the carbs... Also the high revving on choke and backing off choke to keep it from revving too high is normal. Sorry, no help with 2nd. paragraph.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Reving up on choke is common with GS CV carbs. Beyond saying that, I have no advice other than to ask if you removed the pilot screws and dipped the carbs when you cleaned them?

Rebuild tutorial in my signature...
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by jstedmanb View Post
        ...very difficult to start if it sat for more than a few weeks despite using ethanol free gas. It would also rev up very high on choke and I would have to slowly back off the choke to keep it from revving up to 5k.
        Completely normal.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Kind'f seems all fine till it was worked on. Possibly another case of "If it ain't broke"
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If the carbs are indeed clean as per Nessism’s thorough rebuild tutorial, then what you describe is normal behavior. After starting on choke, the rpm’s should rise. Continue to back off the choke, decreasing the rpm’s until the bike is more or less up to temp. I think you need to play with the idle screw at the bottom between carb 2 & 3. Turning it one way will raise the idle rpm, turning it the other will decrease rpms. You can use a long flat screwdriver to do this while standing on either side of the bike. While it’s warming up, give the knob a little bump, figure out which way raises the rpm’s. You want the rpm’s to settle around 1100-1200 when warm and choke completely off.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Kind'f seems all fine till it was worked on. Possibly another case of "If it ain't broke"
              If it ain't broke, don't break it.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well it's good to know it was normal before lol. But I'm still confused what the issue is now. This is probably the third time I've cleaned the carbs and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary besides replace the pilot jets that were damaged.

I'm gonna check real good for air leaks and I'll post back if I get it fixed. The weather is too pretty out to not be riding.
                1982 GS750T

Comment

You say it will start then eventually die. Possibly starving for fuel? Pull fuel line from carbs, set pet cock to PRI just to be sure plenty of gas getting to carbs. That'd assure screen in tank, pet cock, and fuel line are "NOT" the problem.

Comment

FIXED. I was dumb and had the carb vent hose on the petcock instead of the vacuum. Lol runs great now.
                    1982 GS750T

Comment

You will not be the first nor the last to have done that. Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for following up. That is appreciated.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                      X