'83 GS1100E 4-into-2 exhaust options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100E 4-into-2 exhaust options

Hi, I have an '83 GS1100E that I picked up recently off Craigslist, I've got it in the garage at the moment prepped to do a laundry list of maintenance items (the newbie guides on this forum have been a big help!).
    The one non-maintenance item on my list at the moment is that I'd like to get it back to something resembling the stock 4-into-2 setup with a muffler on each side of the bike. I think it's a more fitting look for a classic bike like this, single-sided exhaust always feels like a modern sport styling to me and the aftermarket 4-into-1 (looks like a Delkovic?) on there currently is so rust-scaled and pitted it looks like it was shipped to the PO by being dropped from orbit without a parachute.

Delkovic doesn't appear to make a 4-into-2 option for this model. Are there any good options that I could look into besides buying a stock exhaust system on ebay?

I can go the ebay route if need be, but if I do I'll probably want to take it to a detailer to get it blasted and re-chromed, and I'm worried about getting a part that's dented or otherwise damaged and difficult to restore. The few available parts I've seen for sale are in pretty rough shape.
    If I do need to get an OEM used system, do I need to find one from exactly the same model and year, or are there other years/models that will be a reasonable fit? I'm willing to do some simple bracket fitment if necessary, but I want something that sticks fairly closely to the original styling if possible.

Thanks for any info, and thanks for all the amazing info already available on this site, it's a gold mine here!

I'm sorry you feel that way about 4-into-1s, but to each his own. (I own an '82 11E with a V&H "SS" exhaust. I also have the V&H "Street Megaphone" that came with the bike.)
    The '82 and '83 GS1100E were virtually identical. The '82 came with a chrome 4-into-2, while the '83's was "black chrome." They should be interchangeable.

Shows us pics!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
    X