VM26SS issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Carbs won't typically cause the bike to cut out when hot. That sounds like an ignition problem or maybe fuel flow, petcock or tank vent problem.
    I’m definitely leaning more ignition. I’ve cleaned the tank, I’ll probably coat it soon just to be safe. Vacuum is working well, to the petcock and petcock is clear of any debris. I’ll report back once I have installed the points and condenser.

should have it done tonight or tomorrow. Thank you all for the input!

Comment

I’m hoping to be able to ride this thing back and forth from Portland and Seattle. Any other upgrades you guys can suggest for more reliability would be greatly appreciated.

its my first bike, and I’m enjoying it a lot. Just don’t want to end up on the side of the road 100miles from home lol.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemShake View Post
        I’m hoping to be able to ride this thing back and forth from Portland and Seattle. Any other upgrades you guys can suggest for more reliability would be greatly appreciated.
        Upgrade the regulator to an SH-775 or equivalent, inspect the stator for crustiness and replace if it's iffy looking.
        On a 40 year old bike I'd replace the clutch springs at least, OEM will do, no real need for heavier ones. Check clutch plates for glazing and cracking and replace if necessary.
        The above two items are things that will just crop up on you out on the road and leave you stranded out of the blue.
        I'd also recommend an inline fuel filter. I wouldn't coat the tank if it's not pinholed - some coatings still on the market react badly to ethanol fuels.
        I assume you're already doing the valve clearances, etc.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Upgrade the regulator to an SH-775 or equivalent, inspect the stator for crustiness and replace if it's iffy looking.
          On a 40 year old bike I'd replace the clutch springs at least, OEM will do, no real need for heavier ones. Check clutch plates for glazing and cracking and replace if necessary.
          The above two items are things that will just crop up on you out on the road and leave you stranded out of the blue.
          I'd also recommend an inline fuel filter. I wouldn't coat the tank if it's not pinholed - some coatings still on the market react badly to ethanol fuels.
          I assume you're already doing the valve clearances, etc.
          Awesome and thank you. Yes I’m already doing the valve clearances.

so, I replaced the condensers. The bike is running much better. However, now that I’ve got the color tune on it I can’t get a good air fuel adjustment. So, my jets are too big. I’m having a hell of a time finding the correct rebuild kit for these carbs, as the one I originally got on Amazon came with the wrong stuff.

I’m just trying to return everything back to stock lol. Any help on where I can get the correct carb kit for these would be much appreciated!

Comment

You dont need kits. Get with Nessism and get a VM ORING KIT. The rebuild tutorials are here

Suzuki GS motorcycles maintenance and information (GS850GT)
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemShake View Post

Any help on where I can get the correct carb kit for these would be much appreciated!
              These VM carbs rarely need anything more than 'O' rings , gaskets, choke plunger seals and new fuel mixture screw if the tips are broken.
              The rest of the internals hardly ever need more than a clean unless physically damaged.
              The only Kits i would ever buy if not using original Mikuni parts are the Japanese Keyster items which are easily found.

Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
              VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Alright, so the condensers did the trick. I set the floats and tuned them today and it’s running like a champ! Thank you all for your input and advice!

Comment

And the winners are "Chuck" in post # 3 and "Harlem" in post # 22... Congrats to both of ya'll.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X