X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki gsx750e 1981

Hi all,
    I tried searching but came up blank.
    I have a 1981 Suzuki GSX750E.When acquired it had an aftermarket 4into 1 exhaust fitted.
    I have since obtained an original stock 4into 2 exhaust in good condition.
    As it comes in three sections and they have be fitted together on the bike,is there an procedure to follow to fit the exhaust?
    I tried fitting the two pipes to cyclinders 1 and 4 and then the centre section to cyclinders 2 and 3 but could not find a way to fit 1 and 4 to the collector box.under the bike.
    Any suggestions most welcome
    Thanks
    John

It's a wrestling match for sure. I loosely assemble the pieces and with the bike on center stand, position the whole exhaust system on a floor jack under the bike. A 12" x 12" or so, 1/2" or so thick piece of scrap plywood panel between jack and collector help spread the weight/balance. Another pair of hands definitely helps, especially to keep the (4) 1/2 moon steel pieces in position while you get 2 & 3 lined up. I have been successful at holding these fiddly bits in place with thin gauge binding wire and cutting that off once all 4 header pipes are most of the way into their ports. I should have taken a video the last time I did it. It gets easier after about the 3rd or 4th time. Thankfully, don't have to do it very often. Hope this helps.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich,
      That sounds like a good method.I will have another attempt tomorrow.I was thinking of using super glue to hold the half moon pieces in place during assembly.I would have thought the glue will let go during tighting up the retaining bolts ?

Comment

If you use an adhesive I'd think it would burn and stink, and make a mess on startup. Personally, I would not. When putting the header bolts back in, I like to use a bit of anti-seize on the threads. Re-check torque on these from time to time.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I use a round of masking tape to hold those half moon pieces, will just burn away quickly... Also I replace the exhaust "bolts" with the equal size "studs". When installing exhaust those collars will just hang on them then install nut, don't need to try to hold them up while installing bolt & not get bolt cross-threaded. Stock exhaust is a little aggravating, but you'll get there.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks to the advice I have installed the Stock exhaust now It took a bit of fettling.I used elastic bands to hold the half moon pieces in place and then cut the bands with a knife before fully inserting the header pipes.
            Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by hampshiregsx View Post
              Thanks to the advice I have installed the Stock exhaust now It took a bit of fettling.I used elastic bands to hold the half moon pieces in place and then cut the bands with a knife before fully inserting the header pipes.
              Thanks again
              That's even easier than my idea with the wire. Will use rubber bands next time. Brilliant.

Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
              X