81 GS750E - Missing at Idle & Low RMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats !!! Again beautiful.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you can't get the OEM or Dowty washers, use a smear of Hylomar Blue on the bolt face and both faces of a plain washer. It won't leak fuel, ever.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        The stock petcock washers are dowty type; there is a rubber seal on the ID, and steel overall. Buy the OEM washers and be done with it.
        Link? Looking, but I can't find them?

Comment

# 8……………
          Shop online for OEM Fuel Cock parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

also on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/32619712065...Bk9SR7yXzOmgZA
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            If you can't get the OEM or Dowty washers, use a smear of Hylomar Blue on the bolt face and both faces of a plain washer. It won't leak fuel, ever.
            I read about Hylomar Blue, sounds like some righteous stuff!! From your experience, what's the better route? Buying the original part, upgrading to a "dowty washer" that works better and will last longer than the OEM, or going the Hylomar route. Also, is Hylomar hard to remove/deal with when returning to the area? Thanks!!

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Thanks for that, Rich!. After looking harder I was able to find my old parts diagrams and I got the part number was able to search it. Do you suggest using the OEM washers or something else? Which source do you recommend for making the purchase as far as price and dependability?

Thank you!!!

Comment

I've bought many orders of parts from partshark. Never had a problem. Shipping will cost more that the 2 washers. Check the ebay add, see if it includes shipping. I don't recall if I've ever bought anything from that seller. Ebay is definitely a buyer-be-ware type deal. But that seller has sold a bunch of items and has100% positive feedback. But we're not talking about big bucks here.

If you want to go cheap and quick, no guarantee that it will work, But I have used these for similar washers that go under the long bolts on the right and left side top of the Valve cover. I used the washers from metal roofing screws. They have a rubber washer attached to them. Any hardware store will have them. Just have to unthread them from the screws. They have a concave shape and will flatten out when torqued down. Will they work on the petcock bolts? I don't know. They may be too thick. Problem is, if they don't seal, it's a pain to empty the tank, remove and redo.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post

I read about Hylomar Blue, sounds like some righteous stuff!! From your experience, what's the better route? Buying the original part, upgrading to a "dowty washer" that works better and will last longer than the OEM, or going the Hylomar route. Also, is Hylomar hard to remove/deal with when returning to the area? Thanks!!
                The OEM / Dowty washers lasted for decades, so I've no complaints about them, but when time came to re-use them, they were past their best, and I just used what was available, the Hylomar and plain washers. That was twelve years ago, and I've no complaints.
                Use OEM if you can; if you can't, don't use silicone sealer*, use Hylomar.

*silicone sealer balls up and goes crumbly in the presence of gasoline.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks guys for the great advice. I ordered them here:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for SUZUKI 09168-06023 BOLT SEAL WASHER GASKET FITS MANY MODELS 1978 - 2020 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

It was the best price I found for OEM ($3.20 each) and the seller has 100-percent positive rating.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Piece of mind for getting the right part is definitely worth at least $6.40.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

OriginalOwner I just ordered these washers from the same seller. Did they do the trick for your leak?
                      - David

80 GS850GL
                      Arlington, TX

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ARMNMTNDSDTXsm.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X