Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing Air Filter Cone- 82 GS650g- solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Air Filter Cone- 82 GS650g- solutions?

Hi gang, first post though I’ve been on here constantly for a couple months. I’m in the final stages of tuning a GS650g I bought with a cracked exhaust valve. I rebuilt the top end, cleaned the carb and rebuilt with new o-rings, and i believe my tuning troubles are down to the air box.

Same old story, PO threw out the cone (I want to weep typing that) thinking it wasn’t important. I’ve tried making a little cone thing or just hoping the UNI filter just smushes down making a seal… but I’m lean across the board even two sizes up on the mains (OEM) and needles shimmed to half the nylon spacer size. Stock box, stock exhaust in great shape, carbs bench and vacuum sync’d.

To try and work around my missing come, I cut one of those big orange Home Depot sponges in half with a big-gapped metal mesh behind it and now I’m a little rich across the board and won’t rev past 8k. I sealed the box and am 99% sure I’m not getting any vacuum leaks, boots and o rings replaced too.

I’m tempted to keep “sponge tuning” but I’m wondering what others have done missing that cone on the 650s. NOT going pods!! Thanks for your thoughts.

Dang, I know I saw one of those posted here or on one of the FaceBook groups for sale. Someone's always looking for one of those rare 650 air filter cages. Wish I could remember where that was. If I come across it again, I'll report back.

Oh, and I welcome yinz to the forum.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Symptoms w/ Uni filter, no cone, hoping it was sealing in the box, 115 OEM mains, needles shimmed in half, mixture screws. 3-5 out
      - idled fine, seems lean, 5 turns out still seems lean
      -riding it, almost no response between 2-3.5/4k, then BOOM it takes off and I can redline, still seems lean during not perfectly executed WOT chop

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Dang, I know I saw one of those posted here or on one of the FaceBook groups for sale. Someone's always looking for one of those rare 650 air filter cages. Wish I could remember where that was. If I come across it again, I'll report back.

Hey thanks n’at haha

from what I’ve gathered, finding a cone is like spotting a unicorn. I can’t be the first person to shove a sponge in it but before I continue down this route… I figured I’d ask what the common course of action is

Comment

Rich, I too remember, within the past couple or 3 months, somebody here working on a GS650 and had a cage and a few other parts available. Thought it odd to see one advertised.. Thinking probably didn't last long... Like he said, WELCOME
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

BTW Rich, I was born and raised just a few miles West down 45 from you, State College. Parents still live there. Just had coffee at midnight in late June at the Sheetz in Mifflinburg on a Honda NX650 headed to Rhode Island, made the ferry at noon the next day!

Comment

Well give me a holler next time you’re in the area.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

If you got the UNI-2440 filter element, you should be able to create a metal cage out of hardware cloth …the d-shaped ends aren’t critical…..they just need to support the element from collapsing and being swallowed. A little trial and error should be adequate to get cage right lengthwise.

mixture screws out 3 to 5 is odd, as is the 115 mains.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  If you got the UNI-2440 filter element, you should be able to create a metal cage out of hardware cloth …the d-shaped ends aren’t critical…..they just need to support the element from collapsing and being swallowed. A little trial and error should be adequate to get cage right lengthwise.

mixture screws out 3 to 5 is odd, as is the 115 mains.
                  Right, I've tried iterations of my own "cage" that I thought would work no problem, but I've been lean across the board and am chasing a serious dead spot in the throttle between 2-3.5/4k. That, and my plugs are white. After I limp it past that part of the rev range it really takes off and I can pull 80mph in 3rd. I've obsessively cleaned the idle circuit and after stripping a dipping twice, have used wire to clean out those 3 pinholes that are part of the pilot circuit. This was all with the 110's in, I went 115 to try and richen everything up but it didn't affect much. Attempted raising fuel a bit too, they are back to stock 22.4 (to the correct part of the float from gasket surface). Have experimented with pretty much every pilot screw setting.

When I put a thin sponge in and suddenly everything is RICH it leads me to believe my UNI-filter set up isn't sealed and air is getting around the filter, leaning it out.

I should also say I've already installed a Dyna system to get past my fried ignitor, and did the coil relay so I've got 12v to the coils consistently.

Also I've been studying the Factory Pro CV carb methodology, but worried I've been tuning around bad air intake into the carbs
                  Last edited by cyclosomatic; 08-16-2024, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Wanted to add that we found the fellow selling the air filter cage! truly elated. Will be here monday, and will update then
                    Last edited by cyclosomatic; 08-24-2024, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Congrats. I know they've been harder & harder for folks to find. Wondering, was "the fellow" the fellow from here at GSR? I know I remember somebody on here had one within the past few months, but figured probably it was snatched up quick, if nothing else just for a spare.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Congrats. I know they've been harder & harder for folks to find. Wondering, was "the fellow" the fellow from here at GSR? I know I remember somebody on here had one within the past few months, but figured probably it was snatched up quick, if nothing else just for a spare.
                        Yeah it was Hank2. I was surprised it was still available given the rarity. Will report tomorrow when it arrives

Comment

Working...
                        X