Bike stalls after 5 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    ”Sounds like I'll have to pull out the petcock and try to get it to seal better by polishing like you said.“

pull it out and get new one and find something else to polish
    I really like my petcock though, if I bring it over to your place can you polish it for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
      i have installed an electronic fuel valve on several bikes ao my Kawa GTR1000, which has no overflow tubes and is known for hydrolock.
      Around 15$ off Aliexpress, hooked it up to a switched 12v ... Bob's your uncle.
      They are not very big and my buddy mounted one on his GT750 as precaution.
      Won't protect you if the petcock leaks into the vacuum hose but adds extra safety.
      Hmmm that sounds like the best option, install and forget it. I'll look into that thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Decisions, decisions. Also there's an "O" ring on a plunger that seals to the seat, check that "O" ring for any defects.
        Will do. I'll bench test it before I put it back on the tank

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post

Well that makes sense!

I wouldn't worry too much about engine damage. Fuel dilution lowers the viscosity, but at idle its unlikely you wouldn't have been putting enough load on the oil film to destroy the boundary layers and thus the lubrication and allow metal on metal contact.

Plus the solvent activity of the fuel probably acted as a half-decent engine flush. If it sounds like it did before when running, just change the oil and filter, make sure the carbs aren't leaking and keep riding it.
          That's reassuring, yep I'll bet the crankcase is squeaky clean now lol. Changed the oil again yesterday and am going to take it for a ride today. Fingers crossed that its good to go now.

Comment

RIJKO..
            Think you could post a link to that electronic fuel valve??
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X