Jet question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet question..

Okay, so I just ordered the O ring set from cycleorings.com and have a carb synchronizer on its way as well, but as my luck has it, all the Suzuki dealerships are closed on Mondays and its my only day off.. So where do I oder a new set of Jets for my bike? Right now it has 17.5 in it running with stock exhaust and after market air pods, but possibly going back to the stock airbox when it arrives in the mail.. but id like to keep the pods..

Also, where is the fuel/air mixture screw on the carb?

My issue is that the bike revs super high, and when I remove the choke, even higher. I've been told that its running extremely lean, and from looking at the spark plugs, can agree.

Rather confusing there:
    possibly going back to the stock airbox when it arrives in the mail.. but id like to keep the pods..
    You going to keep the airbox or the pods? Can't do both.

You may have 17.5 PILOT jets in there, but your MAINS should be 115. With stock airbox and pipes, the 115 should be fine. With pods, you might have to go above 120, maybe to 122.5 or 125, depending on what pods you have.

The mixture adjustment screws are at the top of the outlet side of the carbs (engine side) and, on the 450, face outward. There will likely be a disc covering the actual screw. You can drill a small hole in the disc, then use a drywall screw to remove it. After the carbs are dipped and properly cleaned, set these screws to three turns out from lightly seated as a starting point.

Since you are already planning on replacing the o-rings, are you also planning on dipping the carbs? You should. Remove everything except the throttle butterfly from the carb body, soak the carb body and all the brass jets in the "dip" overnight (go for a full 24 hours), then rinse them in warm water and re-assemble with the new o-rings. Keep all the parts for one carb together. This means that you will dip everything for carb #1 on one night, and for carb #2 on the next night.

There is a carb rebuild guide in The Garage.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I said screw it on the stock airbox while trying to get it in, so im just going to re jet it.. the question is is where are my main jets? I have the mikuni kogyo carbs, stock everything in it according to the person I bought it from.. The pilot jets say 17.5 but i cant for the life of me find the main jet...

Also, running EMGO 48mm universal air pods, elevation ~600 feet.. what should I jet it too?

Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Still unsure of where my main jets are..

Also, would this kit work for my bike? It says for an 83 but mines an 80

Comment

The size is stamped on the jets - you have to take them out and hold them up to the light to see the stamped numbers

You'll have to decide on pods or airbox (I've got both on two different bikes).

Airbox, some shimming and tweaking will work

Pods, Factory or Dynojet kit is best

If you just want jets

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You may have to get a magnifying glass to read it, some are really hard to see.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
              So I said screw it on the stock airbox while trying to get it in, so im just going to re jet it.. the question is is where are my main jets? I have the mikuni kogyo carbs, stock everything in it according to the person I bought it from.. The pilot jets say 17.5 but i cant for the life of me find the main jet...

Also, running EMGO 48mm universal air pods, elevation ~600 feet.. what should I jet it too?

The main jets are in the bottom of the float bowl. Flip the bowl over and unscrew the large nut. Your jets should be a 115.

Comment

Working...
              X