Help w/pet cock assembly please.79GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/pet cock assembly please.79GS1000

Does anyone have any pics, or can explain how the fuel pet cock goes back together correctly on a 1979 GS1000. not the side with the lever on it,the opposite side that is square,and held together with 4 screws. i don't remember how it goes,and my manual shows nothing. there is a gasket(square) type thing,with a metal piece(round) in the center of it.it has a small hole near 1 corner. there is a hard square block,that also has the small hole near 1 corner.i don't remember how it all goes back together,and what gets lined up(small holes),and in what sequence.my memory isn't what it used to be.Thanks for the help,all be it,simple!!pics would help!

Petcock repair is covered in Basscliffs website as I remember. That may be a good start for you. He also has many bikes manuals on the same site---They may help

Good Luck

Comment

If you took it apart it's probably because it didn't work.
      Buying a new OEM part comes together, ready to install.
      Good luck,

Comment

Just to let you know I got a new Petcock from Z1 and it works fine. About $50 for a new one. A lot of the guys on the forum say this is the best way to go and you don't have to worry about the petcock from then on.

Something to think about. Beware the repair kits --they don't reliably seem to fit ---At least they didn't for me

Comment

The holes on the corner line up and the metal thing in the middle goes towards the center of the petcock

Your results may vary on whether it works right
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutatons!!

Hi Mr. fishnetter,

It seems I've missed giving you your "mega-welcome". My apologies.

You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys. If I decide to get a replacement pet cock, what's the addresses for the web-sites to get the replacement?I already have a new kit.I want to see if this works first.just need to know the way everything lines up,and goes back together.

Comment

Hi,

If you don't want to buy an OEM petcock, the replacement form Z1 is popular around here (and a little cheaper). If you want to lose the vacuum assist, a Pingel petcock is popular BUT you have to remember to turn it off or you will end up will gas on the floor, or worse, gas in your oil. See the vendor list in your "mega-welcome".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X