Plug chop question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug chop question??

Ok I have begun the process of chopping the plugs with fairly good results. My problem is that the carb with the vac line is richer than the others. I have the mixture screw turned 2.5 rotations out on all four and three of which seem to be ok not sooty. Black on one side of the ceramic but white on the other. Exept the one plug is black and coated in soot. Is it normal to have one carb turned 1.5 turns out because this seemed to solve the issue but not the power hole. The bike screams wide open but at 1/8 throttle it losses power then twist just a little more and it picks right up. Oh yea my bike is a 82 gs1100g. Another question is how can I tell which "g" model it does not have the fairings? I will post some pics of the bike tomorrow and some pics of my recent chops.

The petcock is leaking into that cylinder. Plug the vacuum nipple and run it on prime and see if it runs leaner.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks so much I had a funny feeling that the petcock was suspect !
      Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2010, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Is it normal for one side of te plug to be black and the other side to be white?

Comment

Before taking out the plug mark the center of the white part of the plug with a black marker. I bet the dark side is the intake side. If it isn't you have a bad exhaust valve stem seal.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

great idea! So if the dark side is the intake side thats ok? But if its the exhaust side thats bad? Sorry, still green, this is my first time rejetting more than one carb.

Comment

Sorry one step at a time. It should be the intake side with a bad petcock. Pull the vacuum line and check it for gas.

Comment

Yea I noticed gas droplets bouncing around in the vac line. the #2 carb is the oe with the vac line right? Well that plug is black but the others are just on one side, the petcock would affect the other three cylinders?

Comment

The diaphram is bad in the petcock. It leaks into the #2 cylinder causing it to run rich.
                  Get a new petcock.

Comment

I am going to order one from Z1 right now.

Comment

You can't go wrong.

Comment

got any idea where to find a service manual I have a clymer or haynes manual but its not very detailed?

Comment

Working...
                        X