77 GS 550 carb adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS 550 carb adjustments

Failed emissions(runnin rich out one side it seemed). Got a kit and rebuilt carbs, they were all out of sync to begin with so i got the el cheapo tool to sync. got them even but all of them were too high of a setting(leans out real bad up top) I can ride to work in afternoon 3pm minimal issues under 7000rpm, but the ride home at 4am is so lean (in the cool air it seems) that i have to choke it and pray to keep running. think i get too much air all around. I got factory manual but it says to use a discontinued tool for sync and it says make sure the ball floats just above the lower line(aha ha ha) no real spec for vacuum. currently im seemind to get gas milage like my truck because work isnt far(20mile round trip if i take the senic route) but the tank lasts a week or so(possibly because my fuel required to supplement the air is way too much). bike has bogged above 5000 since i got it, since rebuild and sync i can get 6500-7000rpm before i sputter...Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gas milage not that bad i guess, father in law has same bike, year and milage and his gets 40mpg but he rides like its super sportbike. I cruise like im not in a hurry to go to work ha!

Comment

You should get close to 50 mpg, depending on your local fuel's alcohol content...
      What intake/exhaust system are you running?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What kit did you put in the carbs. What did it consist of. Did you soak the carbs overnight in Berrymen's Carb Dip or similar. If not, that is what is required to get all the gum, varnish, etc. out of the carbs.

Comment

Yes cleanded them all up, rebuild kit was form loocal dealer said it was master kit for model year. The thing i really need is the appropriate vacuum setting for the bike at idle. This way i can sync the carbs.

Comment

I have tried to sync this thing so many times. I just cant figure it out. i can get them real close but then i seem to have trouble with the idle. Occasionally i get to a piont where i can get them all even but then i seem to have a high idle and my adjustment runs out. I cannot go any lower with the idle at this point. I am out if ideas. I havent worked much with multiple carbs, and i cant seem to get the bike over 6k rpm.

Comment

Working...
            X