What is the proper way to dip carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the proper way to dip carbs?

I was wondering what the proper way is to dip carbs. Can I just take the float bowls off and access the jets and then put the carb bodies in the dip or do I need to take off the top parts (slide and needles?)

The reason I ask is because I'm kind of hesitant working on Mikuni? Carbs I've only done Keihen.

Just like this........

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Have you seen the cleaning guides in the Garage section? There are different guides, depending on which model carbs you are working on. You have the VM or the BS series carbs? (edit: I just looked at some of your previous posts and found that you have a '79 425. This has BS-series carbs, also called CV carbs.)

Either way, take them COMPLETELY apart, except for the throttle plates (if you have the BS carbs). Keep everything for each carb together with parts for that carb, dip everything that is metallic. This means that you will do all the parts for carb #1 on the first day, all the parts for carb #2 on the second, and so on. Yes, it takes several days, but it's worth it.

The can of "dip" suggests dipping for 15-30 minutes. Depending on how cruddy the carbs are (how long has the bike been sitting?), you might need to consider 15-30 HOURS in the "dip". Then rinse in warm water and re-assemble with all new o-rings (don't waste your money on "rebuild kits") from cycleorings.com.

After re-assembly, perform a "bench sync", which will get the carbs pretty close to all opening at the same time. It will at least be close enough to start the bike. After the bike is warmed up, you will need to do a vacuum sync, which will require a set of gauges.

While the bike is down for a few days, waiting for the carbs in the "dip", this is a perfect time to check your valve clearances and clean all your electrical connections. When you are done, it will almost feel like a new bike.

Last edited by Steve; 04-23-2010, 02:08 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Everything Steve said with this added...
        After ya dip em I'd suggest using carb cleaner in the can with the little hose to double clean all the little ports. Then blow with compressed air. If ya dont have a compressor use the canned air like one might used to blow the dust of you're keyboard.

Then begin re-assemble.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
        X