79 GS550E - No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS550E - No Power

I recently came into possesion of a 1979 GS550E that had been setting in a trailer for 13 years, We pulled it out drained oil, dipped and cleaned carbs and it ran for 3 days like a champ, except for one overflow on the #2 carb was overflowing, removed them and fixed stuck float. After replacing the carbs the leak stopped. The bike starts right off and idles fine with choke on and after a few seconds the rpms start to rev up to 3000, but as soon as you give it any throttle or turn the choke off it dies.

My guess is another removal of the carbs to check for a plugged jet. Any other ideas?

Originally posted by lagbe View Post
    I recently came into possesion of a 1979 GS550E that had been setting in a trailer for 13 years, We pulled it out drained oil, dipped and cleaned carbs and it ran for 3 days like a champ, except for one overflow on the #2 carb was overflowing, removed them and fixed stuck float. After replacing the carbs the leak stopped. The bike starts right off and idles fine with choke on and after a few seconds the rpms start to rev up to 3000, but as soon as you give it any throttle or turn the choke off it dies.
    My guess is another removal of the carbs to clean them completely and thoroughly.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
    X