What To Do With 3 Air Bleed Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Do With 3 Air Bleed Holes

I have dipped two of my CV carbs so far. I have made the tool with matchstick and wire bristle from a wire brush. I have cleaned all the small holes that the tutorial shows to do.

But I have found three other very small holes between the throttle plate and the piston which I believe to be Air Bleed holes. I cannot get the wire tool to penetrate these holes as I cannot line things up as with the other small holes. How do I clean these small holes? Where are the other ends of these bleed holes? Can I access these holes from the other end of the hole?

I don't want to put the carbs back on and find it doesn't run right because of this. All or any help appreciated.

QUESTION 2: Each of the CV carbs has a reasonably strong spring on it and I assume when this spring pressure is multiplied by four there is going to be quite a bit of pressure at the twist grip for the rider. Is there a need to weaken these springs in any way to make things easier on the rider's right hand. Do all four need to be connected and if so is this the reason why there is only one throttle cable on CV equipped bikes. i.e. the springs close the throttle and no need for PULL close throttle cable?

Just trying to understand the principle of how this system works, not wanting to re-invent the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2010, 08:12 AM.

They are not "air bleed" holes. That is where the mixture comes in from the pilot system. The two closest to the camera are never covered by the throttle plate, and the closest one is the one that the "idle mixture adjustment screw" lives in. The other one will be uncovered as the throttle opens.

This cut-away drawing is from the factory manual. It was colored to show the importance of the rubber plug, but it shows the three openings and how they work:

Don't worry about the spring tension. It seems to be a lot when playing with the individual carbs, but the leverage in the throttle grip makes it tolerable for all but the weakest riders. If you are worried about having to hold it somewhat steady for longer trips, install a throttle lock to hold it for you.

Last edited by Steve; 04-27-2010, 07:07 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As far as cleaning the holes, after the dip use spray carb cleaner to shoot through the holes, watch the spray come back out to make sure the pattern is the same on all four carburetors.
      If there is one with a problem it won't spray through the same as the others, you can see this. Those holes don't tend to clog as they are above the level of fuel in the bowl, as long as some particle didn't block the passage it will be fine.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks STEVE, how do I clear those other holes. I have cleared the one directly below the mixture screw, but cannot get a clear go at the other three.
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          As far as cleaning the holes, after the dip use spray carb cleaner to shoot through the holes, watch the spray come back out to make sure the pattern is the same on all four carburetors.
          If there is one with a problem it won't spray through the same as the others, you can see this. Those holes don't tend to clog as they are above the level of fuel in the bowl, as long as some particle didn't block the passage it will be fine.
          Thanks TKENT,

Just another quick one. Do I spray the carb cleaner from the pilot jet end or in through the holes in the venturi.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Thanks TKENT,

Just another quick one. Do I spray the carb cleaner from the pilot jet end or in through the holes in the venturi.

Thanks again.
            Spray down though the pilot screw Don, path is shorter.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Spray down though the pilot screw Don, path is shorter.
              Thanks ED, that makes sense. You can tell this is a first time effort can't you.

Thanks

Comment

I would also caution against using a bristle from a wire brush. The steel bristle is harder than the metal in the carb and can gouge away some of the material around the hole. I prefer to use a single strand of copper from some 16- or 18-gauge wire. If the hole is too small, find some finer copper strands. The copper is stronger than most dirt, but softer than the carb body (and the brass jets), so it won't enlarge the holes.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You can lesson the tension by unwrapping the spring one revolution. I wouldn't though since you really want the carbs to snap shut. The effort is minimal at the throttle.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    You can lesson the tension by unwrapping the spring one revolution. I wouldn't though since you really want the carbs to snap shut. The effort is minimal at the throttle.
                    I had wondered about doing something like that on mine. My throttle hand gets numb very quickly, and I have tried several grip methoods

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                      I had wondered about doing something like that on mine. My throttle hand gets numb very quickly, and I have tried several grip methoods
                      Even though it's your hand that goes numb, take a good look at the rest of your upper body.
                      If you have to hunch your shoulders forward to reach the bars, it can put strain on nerves that will then be felt in your hand.

My wife had that problem before I added set-backs to the buckhorn bars.
                      Now she does not have to reach for the bars, they have come back to her.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

A throttle rocker will help you out a lot.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          A throttle rocker will help you out a lot.
                          I tried one but it kept sliding around the bar

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                            I tried one but it kept sliding around the bar
                            I wasn't mounted right, or was the wrong size.
                            They work great.

Don, I like to spray those holes every which way, making sure all the holes react the same on every carb. Plug the jet side with your thumb, then see a different spray pattern.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              I wasn't mounted right, or was the wrong size.
                              They work great.

Don, I like to spray those holes every which way, making sure all the holes react the same on every carb. Plug the jet side with your thumb, then see a different spray pattern.
                              One of the velcro attachment deals, the one I tried, unless they sell something better. It was strapped on very tight, but would slowly wander..

Comment

Working...
                              X