whats the issue with my carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the issue with my carbs

Well Im pretty sure the issue is with the carbs but I just dont know what said issue is. I have like a month now of experience working on a bike so im still a newbie I guess.

Trying to get this bike fired up and I know that it will need some carb work done Im sure as they all do after sitting for a while. Right now its not 100% assembled and there is no airbox/filter or pods to put on the back side of the carbs. Im still trying to find either pods or an airbox assembly.

Anyways, I finally got her to fire and try to run by placing a hand over two of the carbs while cranking. (saw it in a video so I tried it). The only thing is the couple of times I did this the engine revved up really high and i hit the kill switch. I made sure the idle screw was backed out all the way but I really dont know what else to do here.

Are the carbs shot inside and need a rebuild or what? Is it because they are sucking in too much air? Why is the engine revving up so high so quickly?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
    ---Eric

I'm new to this too but I think I can help. High RPMs is a lean condition, you're getting too much air in there. From what I've read on this forum you cannot run the bike without the filter and box attached.

Covering your intake just to get it to start and see if it is running may be okay, but you can't keep it running like that. besides, you don't want dirty air getting into your motor.

If you're new to doing the work, try to get a real airbox and filter, the pod solution brings more work along with it.

Do you know when the carbs were cleaned and orings replaced last? If you don't know, just give them a complete rebuild with new orings in the carbs and the intake... will save you a lot of time and grief later.

Comment

Is this the same bike you are parting out I thought you were getting rid of it.

Comment

no this is a 1000 that I bought from someone on here. Im still parting out the 750, sorry for the confusion.

I was just trying to see if the bike would run but was concerned when it took off like that. I figured I would need to rebuild the carbs, any idea where I can get a rebuild kit?

Now I cant get it to start up at all so Id say the carbs need rebuild completely.
        ---Eric

Comment

you shouldn't need a kit, just orings which you can get here; http://cycleorings.com/

get the intake orings too.

just be careful when you take them apart, you should be able to reuse the gasket and floats.

Comment

Might be a good idea to change your name to something not bike related and post your bike and possibly picture in your signature. This will help us to help you

Comment

Hi,

CLICK HERE for links to the proper way to clean and rebuild your carbs. The only kit you should need (unless there are broken parts) is the O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com.

If you must run your engine without an airbox, here is the trick; Fold a regular shop rag in half, lay it across all 4 carb intakes, and use a big zip tie around all 4 carb throats to hold it in place. You need to restrict the amount of air going into your engine, especially with stock jetting. Running too long with a lean fuel/air mixture will damage your engine. The shop rag is only good to get you running so that you can make some adjustments. Get an air box as soon as you can. If you're going to install pod filters then you will need to re-jet your carbs to compensate for the increased air intake. A Dynojet kit is usually the easiet way, or you can buy your own various jet sizes and experiment with plug chops. The plug chop method is explained on my website. You'll also find links to jetting procedures. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I tried it and it worked. Still revs a little high but she runs and thats all i wanted to check. It had pods on it and was re-jetted allready from what I understand but the jet size wasnt right for the pods or something. I want to put it back to stock with an airbox and stock size jets so thats what Im looking for right now.
                ---Eric

Comment

Working...
                X