No idle without choke, bike just dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No idle without choke, bike just dies

So when i start the bike I have to either give it gas or have the choke all the way up. Then it runs fine as long as it is in gear and running. But if I hold the clutch in too long the engine dies and I have to press the starter button again. Same thing when in neutral it wont idle.
    The bike is a 1980 gs550e
    I just got the bike a couple weeks ago and have not performed any maintance on the engine yet as I am very new to bikes and afraid to break it.
    Does it just need the carbs cleaned? And if so is that something a beginner can do? Any link to a tutorial would be helpful.
    I also read something in some other post about an idle screw? It was a different model bike though but does this one have an idle screw that just maybe needs to be adjusted?
    Thanks for any help.

Pilot jets plugged

Comment

Is that easy to fix or should I bring it to get it done.
      Is there a tutorial?

Comment

Check down underneath and between the carbs, on the back side of them for an adjustment know sticking out from between the carbs. Should be an idle adjustment knob down there somewhere. Turn it clockwise to raise the idle. But, if it's been sitting for a while, then probably needs pilot jets cleaned. There is a tutorial of basscliff's website.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I just went to his website and could not find any that said pilot jet.
          Can you please link me?
          I also just got back from the auto parts store and bought a bottle of carb/injector cleaner. I am going to run that through too maybe that will help a little.

Comment

Hi,

Your "mega-welcome" contains a couple of maintenance lists that must be followed in order to properly restore an abused and neglected GS motorcycle to its former reliable and robust condition. You mega-welcome is in the thread with YOUR FIRST POST to the forum. Please read through it, learn it, live it, love it, just do it. Your bike will be happy and you will be happy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

on BassCliff's site, there will be a link that says "cv carb rebuild". That's the one you want to follow. It would be in your best interest to pick up some o-rings from http://www.cycleorings.com and change those out while you're in there.

Don't be afraid, while it may seem a little intimidating, as long as you are careful, and use proper tools (as in, don't use pliers to loosen something you should be using a socket on!), it's not likely you'll break something .

oh, yeah......Welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X