1982 GS 850GL air screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 850GL air screw

How do I know when I have the air screw(that is what it is called on Bikecliffs carb rebuild section) in the right amount. Its the one with the spring, o'ring, and washer. Almost have these things back in order...Please help!!

It should turn easily, with just a little friction from the o-ring. Turn it until it bottoms lightly, then back it out 3 turns.

This is just a starting point. When you get the bike running, you will tweak them until they get better, but 3 turns is a decent starting point.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

And if you read the CV carb notes linked below Mr. John Bloemer's excellent guide you will see that they are more accurately referred to as "mixture" screws.

You will want to read up on the "highest idle" method for setting the mixture screws. Or there is an instrument called a Morgan Colortune which actually allows you to look into the combustion chamber to see the flame color and adjust as necessary.

Here's a little info from my website: Morgan Colortune/Carbtune Tips

Good luck with your carb work. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2010, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X