78 gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs1000

I am having trouble finding out what jets i should get for my gs. I have vance and hines 4 into 1 exhaust and k and n filters. I think i have ruled out all the other options because valve clearance is within range and carbs have been thoroughly cleaned. The bike seems really lean one day and rich the next. (i dont know if it matters but I am 4000 ft above sea level)

this is my first thread so I hope I am doing right

Originally posted by mmiller View Post
    I am having trouble finding out what jets i should get for my gs. I have vance and hines 4 into 1 exhaust and k and n filters. I think i have ruled out all the other options because valve clearance is within range and carbs have been thoroughly cleaned. The bike seems really lean one day and rich the next. (i dont know if it matters but I am 4000 ft above sea level)

this is my first thread so I hope I am doing right
    I have the same engine, pipe, and K&N pods, I have a 115 main, 15 pilot. It runs well at 6,000' through about 8,500' or so, it's a tad lean at 5,000.

So go a little fatter for 4,000', probably 120 main or so?

Do a complete set of plug chops to get it perfect.

You didn't post your location, but if you ever ride any lower than 4,000', these jets will be WAY too lean.
    You must jet it for the lowest elevation you will ever ride at to avoid engine damage.
    Last edited by tkent02; 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What jets does it have now?

Good source for more

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

tkent02, don't bring that bike down to sea level. That is basically the jetting that George put in my carbs, with the exception of 20 pilots. My engine just about burnt up in 30 degree weather. Lost 1.5 quarts of oil in that traffic jamb on the way home. With the new engine I went with a stage 3 jet kit. 130 main jets with 15 pilots. It runs fine at 1700ft. I'm guessing it will do fine in all the Eastern mountains, but would roll black smoke in Denver.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
          tkent02, don't bring that bike down to sea level. That is basically the jetting that George put in my carbs, with the exception of 20 pilots. My engine just about burnt up in 30 degree weather. Lost 1.5 quarts of oil in that traffic jamb on the way home. With the new engine I went with a stage 3 jet kit. 130 main jets with 15 pilots. It runs fine at 1700ft. I'm guessing it will do fine in all the Eastern mountains, but would roll black smoke in Denver.
          NOooo, I can't ride it down lower, it would burn up right away. It is almost too lean in town here at 5,500'. I ride it gently until I get to the higher elevations in the mountains around here.

But it rips pretty good up to 8,500' and will make it up to 12,000', maybe even 14,000' if I don't open the throttle.

I am trying to convert all the bikes to CV carbs, or Fuel Injection. They both can adjust to large elevation changes very well.

The VMs just don't cut it with the serious elevation changes around here.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X