Mikuni Smoothbores 33mm GS1100 Suzuki GS 1100 Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni Smoothbores 33mm GS1100 Suzuki GS 1100 Carbs

Will the Mikuni Smoothbores 33mm Carbs work on my gs1100g? And is it worth it. I like my cv carbs but have heard good things about the smoothbores. I have two 82 gs1100g and am thinking about putting a 4in1 and pods on one of them.

They'll work, but they're persnickity. IF you like to romp on the throttle, you cant with smoothies.. Or really any mechanical carb for that matter that doesnt have an accelerator pump. Wacking the throttle open will dump all the vacuum and the bike will bog out. If you can get em cheapish, they'd be ok i suppose. I dun like em they're too twitchy. RS's would be a better choice over those..

Comment

do you have a H/D backing plate kit installed in your clutch basket?
      well then ask yourself...
      do you feel lucky..
      well do you?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        do you have a H/D backing plate kit installed in your clutch basket?
        well then ask yourself...
        do you feel lucky..
        well do you?
        Hes talking about a "G" model.. did those have the same problems??

Comment

When beat on, yes! Ray.

Comment

i had a 1980 1000G a customer brought me with case parts in a box.
            i had McIntosh Frankenstein it back together for me.
            the basket blew through the lower case and the frame kept the pieces from hitting the ground.
            it was ugly when repaired and i had to do some clear silicone work because the oil seeped though the welds but it was fixed and this time it got a H/D basket.
            oh,
            this was a 4-1 kerker pipe and st.3 jet kitted bike.
            anything with helical gears that gets beat on will break.
            more HP= breaks sooner.
            the poster of this thread asked about 33mm smoothbores...
            he's not thinking about installing THEM FOR FUEL MILEAGE!!
            josh,
            write on the chalk board 100 times "i will not run my helical gear GS hard without an HD backing plate kit"

Comment

Ok ok ok. Sheesh. I was only askin cause I have actually owned a couple shafties, and while not more than stock (WTF is the point of hotrodding a shaftie? You lose so much HP through the driveline. They're heavy, the splines don't handle it well etc) I beat the living pi$$ out of my 1100G. 11,000 miles in about 2.5 months of romping and whipping it's ass through twisties. Only trouble I ever had out of it was a starter clutch, and two hub splines

Comment

Well guys I do have a heavy hand but I'm not to hard on my bikes any more. I want the 4in1 v&h pro stock on the one I'll ride to work everyday #1 I live in the country and see alot of deer every morning. #2 I like the sound of this pipe on a gs1100. #3 When I was 17 years old a lady pulled out in front of me and I hit her, the first thing she said was I didn't see you. Every since I have had a loud bike, if you don't see me, you will hear me. Thanks for the info on the H/D clutch basket, didn't know.....now I do. There is some really good info on this site, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Will they work - Yes.
                  Will you like them vs. the CVs - probably not. They do have a hesitation issue when you nail it.
                  Jet the CVs correctly with the pipe and pods, and you will like it better than the smoothbores. JMHO.
                  And cage drivers will never see you, loud or not. 40+ years of experience have taught me this.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Will they work - Yes.
                    Will you like them vs. the CVs - probably not. They do have a hesitation issue when you nail it.
                    Jet the CVs correctly with the pipe and pods, and you will like it better than the smoothbores. JMHO.
                    And cage drivers will never see you, loud or not. 40+ years of experience have taught me this.
                    And I have always lived in the country. The deer do hear the loud pipe, and stop. Thanks for the info, I will keep the cv's and jet them.

Comment

Originally posted by RIP View Post
                      And I have always lived in the country. The deer do hear the loud pipe, and stop. Thanks for the info, I will keep the cv's and jet them.
                      i will save you a lot of headaches and give you the right information.
                      purchase a st.3 jet kit from dynojet and follow there instructions to the T and you will be happy with the out come...no BS here.
                      this is if you are going to remove the airbox.
                      suzuki GS carbs can not be "jetted" to perform properly with the air box removed unless you do what i stated above.

Comment

Thanks for the info, that is the plan. My other gs1100g will be set up for camping trips with the wife, we go alot in the warm months, but it will be heard too. Just not as loud.

Comment

Working...
                        X