intake backfire, no rev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake backfire, no rev

82 gs550m katana. Just put pod filters on. valves recently adjusted, oil change, carbs clean and synched. Yes they are REALLY clean. I know the carb was previously rebuilt. i have a v&h 4-1 on it as well. I'm sure its just running lean because of the pods. The main jets say (9.25) on them. what does this mean? size i would presume. do i need to get a stageIII dynojet kit or does it already have one in it? Thanks for the help!

That's not 9.25 but 92.5 - standard mains for your bike. I don't think the Dynojet is available for the GS550M but if you can find a kit somwhere it might be the easiest route for you (other than popping the original airbox back on). Otherwise you're in to tuning your carbs - new jets, playing about with the needles etc - fun.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      That's not 9.25 but 92.5 - standard mains for your bike. I don't think the Dynojet is available for the GS550M but if you can find a kit somwhere it might be the easiest route for you (other than popping the original airbox back on). Otherwise you're in to tuning your carbs - new jets, playing about with the needles etc - fun.
      so is there a way to richen it up enough without changing to dyno?

Comment

Do not ride it like this.
        Go up one on the pilot jet EX 40-42.5
        I'd go up to at least a 110 on the main jet (to start)
        Shim the needle to richen the needle circuit.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just a question---Why not go back to the airbox and go standard? Seems like that would be a LOT less fuss

My 2 c worth

Comment

Originally posted by tlepac View Post
            Just a question---Why not go back to the airbox and go standard? Seems like that would be a LOT less fuss

My 2 c worth
            seems alot more simple to remove and install carbs with pods haha. probably gain a few HP by raising jet size and pod filters as well. not much to account for but its the thought that counts?

Comment

Faulty logic.
              Getting it to run right takes a LOT of tuning.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Faulty logic.
                Getting it to run right takes a LOT of tuning.
                i understand that its alot of work, but tons of guys here put pods on. so it must be worth it?

Comment

3314 is the Dynojet part number for your bike.
                  Develop a great plan for boosting your motorcycle’s performance by using our convenient, reliable motorcycle carburetor Jet Kits available online. Once you see these kits in action, it will become clear why they’re the products that started the Dynojet fuel tuning legacy. They’ll effortlessly increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range. Whether your bike is stock, heavily modified, or created for high-speed racing, our Jet Kits can tune your air/fuel ratio to perfection. Not only will our motorcycle Jet Kits drastically improve your performance, but they’ll also show immediate results. With an increased power output of 5-8% and a fully adjustable design, our kits are the perfect companions to any rider. Expand your vehicle’s performance capabilities today with them.

Cruise Ebay for a better price.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X