carb sync tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb sync tool?

I have a airflow syle carb sync tool used on side draft car style carbs and there are 2 syles one is metal with a adjustable center to get the floating piece in gauge in proper range then you just go carb to carb holding it on the carb opening to check flow. the other is a empi that is plastic with a dial type gauge and you do the same thing but it has a larger range but you do have to adjust idle more to get it in the middle range first then go carb to carb to adjust the same. Will either one of these work on motorcycle carbs? I have used them alot on mikuni side drafts and su style car carbs with success but see everyone using a tube with water on all carbs at once or a different syle that again does all carbs at once? I was hoping to use what I have. Do I adjust the linkage for syncing or something different?

Style 1 http://www.nextag.com/BUGPACK-UNIVER...72/prices-html

style 2 http://www.jcwhitney.com/universal-c...23&zmap=492172
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2010, 07:52 PM.

They won't work. I've tried. Best bet it to find someone close with the right tool.

Comment

Morgan Carb Tune is the best. Exchange rate is favorable right not too. I'm thinking about buying one and getting rid of my mercury gauge set.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I currently have a set of mercury "sticks" that I have had for over 30 years.
        They still work well and are still the standard on which everything else is based.

Motion Pro sells a tool for about $85 or 90 that uses some sort of liquid that will look at the vacuum in all four cylinders at the same time.
        It works just like the mercury gauge, but uses a more evironmentally-friendly fluid.

Reported to be the best (I don't have one yet), is the Morgan Carbtune. I checked just the other day, with the current exchange rate,
        it is $85.85 to have one shipped to your door. It also looks at all four cylinders, but uses NO fluid, so it's a lot easier to store and transport.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I love my Morgan Carb Tune. You must get a set of vacuum adapters from Z1 to go with it. The plastic adapters that come bundled with the Morgan unit are small and hard to work with on a hot engine. Don't forget the special carb adjustment tool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Don't forget the special carb adjustment tool.

BassCliff
            Cliff where do you get the special carb adjustment tool from and how does it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Motion Pro sells a tool for about $85 or 90 that uses some sort of liquid that will look at the vacuum in all four cylinders at the same time.
              It works just like the mercury gauge, but uses a more evironmentally-friendly fluid.

Reported to be the best (I don't have one yet), is the Morgan Carbtune. I checked just the other day, with the current exchange rate,
              it is $85.85 to have one shipped to your door. It also looks at all four cylinders, but uses NO fluid, so it's a lot easier to store and transport.

I bought, used, and sold a set of the 'new age' Motion Pro units. I'll save you the frustration, buy the Morgan. Hook it up, synch and go. No calibration, no fluid separation.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                Cliff where do you get the special carb adjustment tool from and how does it work.
                Hi Don,

I bought mine along with the Morgan Carbtune. It's a long screwdriver inside of an 8mm socket. Here's the link: http://www.carbtune.co.uk/carbtool.html

Use it on the vacuum adjustment screws between the carbs. The socket loosens the jam nut, adjust the screw, then tighten the jam nut.

And of course you know where to use the tool, on the vacuum adjustment screws.

This is the 5mm adapter kit I got from Z1Enterprises.com.

<< Click the picture to go to their sales page.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Morgan Carb Tune is the best. Exchange rate is favorable right not too. I'm thinking about buying one and getting rid of my mercury gauge set.
                  Care to send that unit via USPS to me in CA?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can verify The Morgan Carb set up is first class !! The tool makes the adjustments very easy. Accept no substitute. It will last a lifetime.. I made the mistake of buying a set of vacuum gauges before I knew better..

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi Don,

I bought mine along with the Morgan Carbtune. It's a long screwdriver inside of an 8mm socket. Here's the link: http://www.carbtune.co.uk/carbtool.html

Use it on the vacuum adjustment screws between the carbs. The socket loosens the jam nut, adjust the screw, then tighten the jam nut.

And of course you know where to use the tool, on the vacuum adjustment screws.

This is the 5mm adapter kit I got from Z1Enterprises.com.

<< Click the picture to go to their sales page.

BassCliff
                      Cliff where is your choke mechanism?

I don't see it anywhere. On my 650 setup the parts on the long choke shaft that passes through all the carbs and pulls the choke plungers out is directly above these vacuum screws and locknuts. I don't see this on yours. Did you remove the choke mechanism?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Care to send that unit via USPS to me in CA?
                        Bill, don't forget EPA

Comment

The choke is in the last picture of the carbs. It is connected to the choke rod. Different setup than the choke tube/throttle bracket all in one.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                            Cliff where is your choke mechanism?

I don't see it anywhere. On my 650 setup the parts on the long choke shaft that passes through all the carbs and pulls the choke plungers out is directly above these vacuum screws and locknuts. I don't see this on yours. Did you remove the choke mechanism?

Thanks
                            Hi Don,

That rod above the vacuum screw, with the 90 degree bend, is part of the choke assembly.

Below we are looking at the vacuum adjustment screw between #3 and #4 carbs. Here again, just to the left of the adjustment tool, is the rod that is part of the choke assembly.

Below you see the throttle cable on the left and the choke cable on the right.

On my 850 the throttle linkage assembly is bolted to the top of the #3 carb and the choke assembly is bolted to the top of the #2 carb.

The choke mechanism is all there, no mods. I guess sometimes my pictures don't show everything in the proper perspective.

BassCliff
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks Cliff, Bill. I guess I have a later model setup and it looks a bit different. Good pics Cliff. Very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X