Replacing fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing fuel line

How do I replace the fuel line on CV carbs on a 650 motor without removing the carbs?

HELP please?

Going to be almost impossible unless you have some really tiny hands

Comment

Dunno about the 650, the frame might interfere, but If it is possible to get at it using a rigid tube or pipe, a brass tube perhaps, slightly larger than the hose to keep the fuel line straight you can then push on the line and get it over the T. Then pull the pipe off and cut the line to the correct length. It won't be easy, Good luck.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Fuel Line Replacement

It ain't easy.

I have done it but my religion took a serious hit that day.

I used a long screwdriver (actually used the one from my carb adjustment tool I think) placed INSIDE the fuel line for stiffness. Stabbed the fuel inlet nipple with the screwdriver, slid the fuel line down, pulled the screwdriver out. Now I was using and in-line filter at the time, so I was using two shorter pieces of hose with the filter as "splice" .
        sigpic
        1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
        2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Gutter spike

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
          How do I replace the fuel line on CV carbs on a 650 motor without removing the carbs?

HELP please?
          As mentioned, it isn't easy but can be done in just a few minutes. Go to the advanced search feature and search for "gutter" for posts by my user name. You'll find a good description of how to do it. Good luck!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Forgot the fuel line huh.
            Happens to the best of us.
            I pulled the carbs and got pods.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

1. Use a long screwdriver or dowel rod
              2. Spray some silicone spray lube on the dowel.
              3. Slide the fuel line over, leaving 1 inch open,
              4. Push the fuel line onto the T section,
              5, Install clamp and you are done,.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks Guys for all the tips. It's not that I forgot to put the fuel ine on before I installed the carbs. But when I installed them (first time for me) I found the old fuel hose was a loose fit on the petcock.

Comment

If the end of the hose is warped or shot where it connects to the petcock.

Just chop off like half an inch of the hose, then install a plastic connector, then run another piece of hose on the other end of the connector, thus going to the petcock.
                  Just make sure the connector you get is the right size diameter as the hose, and is made for fuel lines....autozone has em.

Or just install a small fuel filter or something......that's what I did.

------------

And as far as replacing the fuel line WITHOUT removing the carbs...

Good luck!

I couldn't even possibly fathom a way to do that on my 650!
                  (atleast without removing the entire airbox assembly!

I needed a new fuel hose too.....I just yanked the damn carbs off and replaced the hose!
                  (afterall i wanted to make sure it was on TIGHT!)

It's a hard place to reach man!

And if you don't wanna remove your carbs....that probably tells me you need new carb boots too!!!!

removing the carbs on the 650 is easy as crap.....I can have them off in a couple minutes.

Once the boots are softened up, they fight you A LOT less.

Comment

Thanks for opinions. I was able to move the air box back enough to get the new hose on, although finding the correct size was a bit of a problem. 5/16'' too loose and 1/4" too tight.

Comment

Use a metric size hose from Volkwagen, Volvo, BMW, or any of the European cars.
                      It fits very well. Any independent shop will have them.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Use a metric size hose from Volkwagen, Volvo, BMW, or any of the European cars.
                        It fits very well. Any independent shop will have them.
                        Hi could you clarify independent shop for me please?

BTW good lateral thinking. I didn't give it a thought to look for European cars that would use metric size fuel hose.

Well done.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                          Hi could you clarify independent shop for me please?
                          I meant an independent shop specializing in one of these makes, like "Joe's BMW Repair" as opposed to the actual BMW dealership.

Although the dealership would probably have the same stuff.

VW has some black cloth covered hose, I like it. But the main thing is it fits, and is of good enough quality that it lasts a long time, and won't kink.

Bike shops sell crap.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            I meant an independent shop specializing in one of these makes, like "Joe's BMW Repair" as opposed to the actual BMW dealership.

Although the dealership would probably have the same stuff.

VW has some black cloth covered hose, I like it. But the main thing is it fits, and is of good enough quality that it lasts a long time, and won't kink.

Bike shops sell crap.
                            OK thanks. Good info. I think I will look for some other fuel line and do this job properly while I have it apart.
                            Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                              Going to be almost impossible unless you have some really tiny hands
                              Mine was impossible. The PO had installed his own fuel line with a screw-type hose clamp WITH the screw head pointed toward the motor! Didn't matter really, even as the line was leaking at the tank end. How good was the line at the carb end? I replaced the whole thing and was done with it. I did find out the airbox boot rubbers were as hard as bullets. Waiting for the parts...
                              Kevin
                              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                              X