RUN -vs- PRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RUN -vs- PRI

Is it bad to run your bike on PRI? Here's a little history. I just repainted my bike - 81 GS850GX. I removed the petcock and fuel gauge, painted the tank, replaced it all. I replaced the fuel line, added a new inline filter, vacuum line is new last year. The petcock is also new from Suzuki last year.

When I fired it up this morning for the first time, I set the petcock on PRI to fill the bowls, choked it a bit, and fired it up. After it warmed up and sputtered for a bit (as expected) it ran ok.

When I turned the petcock to RUN, I noticed airbubbles coming from the tank. Rather large air bubbles at that, too. Soon it began to sputter again and when I give it throttle it bogs out. Turn it back to PRI and it runs fine.

Back to my question - is it ok to run it on PRI as long as I switch it back to RUN when I shut it off? Thi sis just for the interim until I can pull the tank and reseal everything this weekend.

I know PRI is a continuous flow and RUN works off the vacuum. I know that when the bike is off the petcock should be in the RUN position so I don't flood the bowls.

I'm guessing my leak is around the petcock? What does anybody else think?

Thanks in advance

It's OK to run it in PRI, it's just like a manual petcock, no problems.

Sounds like the diaphragm in the petcock failed.

Not sure about the bubbles, where were they?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks Tkent. Even though it's new last year? The bubbles were in the fuel line coming from the petcock. Switch to PRI and they go away.

Comment

How much fuel is there in the tank? Maybe level is too low for RUN. Try RES.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Good point. Since this was the first time it had any gas in it since last fall, I only put about a quart in it incase I had to drain it. I'll add more and see what happens.

That's for bonking me upside the head!!

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X