Question about pods and carb on 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about pods and carb on 450

Ok, so I have an 81 450L. I have some plans for it over the winter, and one of them is giving it a "naked" look. I wanted to remove the air box and put on pods, as well as relocating the electrical components normally under the side panel to where the air box used to be. But reading somewhere in these forums, someone asked if putting pods on a 450 was a good idea, and if I recall correctly, everyone was pretty much against it (restrict too much air flow, lower performance, etc). Despite these drawbacks, I still want the pods. If I were to go through with it (which would still be months from now), what exactly would I have to do with the carburetor to get it running well? I keep reading about re-jetting and dyna jet kits and all sorts of fancy words when it comes to adjusting the carbs for new air filters/exhausts. What exactly is re-jetting? Are there guides to this? Is it really complicated? And would I (theoretically) get decent performance out of the 450 with pods if I did this to my carbs?

Sorry for the long-winded question

You'll need to shim the jet needle and go up four sizes on the main jet.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi, if a standard jet in my 450 is 115 what number is 4 sizes up? I have pods on and a chopped exhaust on my 82 450t, now hard tailed into a bobber. I love it, but need to richen the carb.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        You'll need to shim the jet needle and go up four sizes on the main jet.
        Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot, but I don't really know what that means You gotta remember I'm still new to the world of carburetors.

Comment

Sorry, my question was aimed at the guy who told you to shim your needle and go up 4 sizes of main jet. I also moved my electrics internally and have got pod filters to fit, they incease air flow which is why we need bigger jets etc. Darren.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren GS450T View Post
            Hi, if a standard jet in my 450 is 115 what number is 4 sizes up? I have pods on and a chopped exhaust on my 82 450t, now hard tailed into a bobber. I love it, but need to richen the carb.
            Hi,

The stock jets are numbered in increments of 2.5. Four sizes up from 115 would be 125.

In order to cut down on the confusion and to be polite to the original poster, it's always best to start your own thread.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by David.Seth View Post
              Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot, but I don't really know what that means You gotta remember I'm still new to the world of carburetors.
              Hi,

Check out the information I've gathered on my website. For example:

Shimming The Needle

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Have you put the pods on yet? Did you get it tuned and running?

Comment

Working...
                X