80 gs 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs 550

new to the sight been looking for awhile now.
    i have a question, going to be picking up a 1980 gs 550 this weekend for 350 bucks runs drives good tires and all, good deal i would say.
    the only prob is the bike doesn't go over 55 i assume it just needs a good carb clean and rebuild.
    i just want to know could this be something that wouldn't be easily fixed like a cam prob or something.
    Im new to bikes but am going to school to work on cars so i know a little
    i'm all ears
    thanks

If it runs and rides, $350 sounds good to me too.

First, adjust the valves, THEN carb clean and synchronize.

Good luck!

Comment

Fix everything, if it still only goes 55 we can fix that too.
      I bought a 1000 that would only get up to 50 with a long down hill, turns out the 4-1 exhaust pipe had a huge ball of steel wool in the collector.
      Pulled out a pile of it the size of a watermelon, instant fast bike again.
      So yeah, we can fix it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

cool thanks guys ill let you know when i get the bike and tear into it. and give you up date.
        thanks

Comment

Just from personal experience ( and a few of the guys can tell ya I made that mistake)...don't crack open the engine unless you find it absolutely necessary....check the carbs and intake. The exhaust bolts on these are notorious for breaking so be carefull if you break them loose to look at em. Post what you find in the carbs and intake. You will get all the right advice from these guys and gals in which direction to go. Other than that good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Fix everything, if it still only goes 55 we can fix that too.
            I bought a 1000 that would only get up to 50 with a long down hill, turns out the 4-1 exhaust pipe had a huge ball of steel wool in the collector.
            Pulled out a pile of it the size of a watermelon, instant fast bike again.
            So yeah, we can fix it.
            MY GOD... what a moron...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              MY GOD... what a moron...
              That's what my wife says.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

so i went and looked at the bike and it turns out its got some newer refurbished carbs on it with new boots and stuff. Well he said they were refurbished could he have put another bikes carbs on there instead of the right ones? i also need to get a new silencer or muffler what is a good replacement. it seams to have some after market exhaust on it so can most mufflers just bolt up to it or do i have to find a direct replacement. I don't remember the brand of it but i didn't recognize it at all..
                thanks Guys

Comment

Who knows what the PO did.
                  Take off the carbs and check and see what jets are in them.
                  I think Mac makes a pipe for that bike. Check Ebay for a used pipe.
                  Does it have an airbox installed?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X