petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock

yea so i just got this bike.. and im sorry if this question is stupid but i have no clue how to work on bikes.. (in process of learning).... i have a 82 gs450t which was sitting in a garage for about 12 years and i cant seem to turn the petcock... is there a special way to doing it... like pressing it in? i don't want to break the thing.. once again i apologize for being a retard

Is it the type with a slot? Those are pretty useless.
    Just leave it on, there's no reserve anyway, and PRIme usually doesn't work.
    Make sure the fuel shuts off when the engine does.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What exactly is wrong with it? I also don't know much but I know that mine needed pliers to turn it until Cdnoel took it apart for me a few days ago and sprayed some cleaner on it. Now it turns freely and I need to find a new o-ring for it. Saved me 70 bucks to replace it.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That doesn't sound like the bad one.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mathew13,

Save yourself a lot of headache and just replace your petcock. Then you won't have to worry about it for another 20 years or so. Z1Enterprises.com should have a reasonably priced replacement. In your "mega-welcome" you will find a couple of maintenance lists that will lead you down the path of GS nirvana, if you take no shortcuts. If you stray from the path you will be cursed with stuttering performance, hard starts, dead batteries, and become stranded on the side of the path instead of riding briskly down the path. Do it right the first time. Let's get started...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X