No announcement yet.

Synch vs Balanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A carb can certainly go out of sync over time, so the answer to the question as stated is no. Not 'once sync'd, always sync'd. But it's a function of being bounced around on the bike and screws self adjusting from vibration, throttle plates wearing, etc. Not related to the engine.

You can rebuild a carb rack, synch it, toss it in a box (carefully packed, of course) and ship it anywhere in the world for someone else to mount on their bike. A member on one of the other forums I'm involved in has been doing that for other members for years.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr View Post
      If you balance a carb rack on one motorcycle, it will be perfectly synchronized when pulled and installed on another.
      In a perfect world, yes. However, I am stuck in this world.

Differences in valve adjustments will subtly change how much a particular cylinder will draw. If one bike has different clearances on the valves, it will draw just a bit more or less air, which will affect the vacuum level.

Doing a vacuum sync on a bike then shipping the carbs will at least assure you that they are very close, but I would not guarantee them to be exact.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        In a perfect world, yes. However, I am stuck in this world.

Differences in valve adjustments will subtly change how much a particular cylinder will draw. If one bike has different clearances on the valves, it will draw just a bit more or less air, which will affect the vacuum level.

Doing a vacuum sync on a bike then shipping the carbs will at least assure you that they are very close, but I would not guarantee them to be exact.

AAAGREEEEED.

If close is what you're after, close it is. To tune an engine "perfectly", it ALL has to be done as a package deal, with that individual engine.

Even variance in spark plug gap, plays a factor...

Comment

OK i was mistook
          I was wrong and obistantate in my obstinancy

I was harping on a theoretical notion not disputing a very well known fact

carbs is delicate
          need to be balanced

and any signifigant differantion among the rack will cause major performance problems

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            AAAGREEEEED.

If close is what you're after, close it is. To tune an engine "perfectly", it ALL has to be done as a package deal, with that individual engine.

Even variance in spark plug gap, plays a factor...
            my ogd man nothing in the physical world is within the magical perfect spec

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
              my ogd man nothing in the physical world is within the magical perfect spec
              I am, but but but...as noted at birth, I am an anomaly!
              Last edited by Dave8338; 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                I am, but but but...as noted at birth, I am anomaly!

happily anomaly loves company

cos in our english culture it rhymes so very very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  happily anomaly loves company

cos in our english culture it rhymes so very very nice
                  NICE!

Comment

WOW ..... Have been away from the site for a while. Proof that drugs and motorcycles are a poor mix.

Comment

Working...
                    X