GS450 idiling at 6000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 idiling at 6000 rpm

So I just got done cleaning my carbs and chopping the exhaust and installing k&n filters, reinstalled everything and now I'm idiling at 6k...

Any ideas? I cleaned it in the carb dip and I have a sneaking suspicion I may have missed an o ring when dissasembling the carbs and it got dissolved... I bought the o ring kit from this site and couldn't find where to replace two of the small orings...

your throttle cable could be caught up on the point where it connects to the carb. Happened to me once. I missed that bend that has the groove and when I started it up it it revved to the sky. Did you remove the mixture screws? You have to drill and pop out the caps.

Comment

I never touched the mixture screws as it idled fine beforehand.

Comment

what year is your bike? On my 80 450E, the idle adjuster is behind the carbs. If it's hot, it's best to wear a leather glove, reach in and adjust the idle. It's a bit awkward to do, but not that hard. It's possible the wheel for the adjuster was turned while either removing it from the bike or while you were cleaning it.

Comment

Originally posted by raerickson View Post
          I never touched the mixture screws as it idled fine beforehand.
          If you didn't remove them before dipping you most likely melted some o-rings. Those are the 2 you probably couldn't place before.

Comment

Thats what I'm thinkin. Looks like I'll be tearing them apart tomorrow thanks!

Comment

Hi,

If you have chopped the exhaust and installed pod filters, you are running really lean. Re-jet your carbs very soon or you will fry your pistons.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X