gs400s carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs400s carbs

I picked up a 84 gs400s that has sat for several years. On pulling the carbs I find that there is no piston spring in either carb. Is this normal for this bike?
    alex

Can't say for sure, but I have always seen springs in there. The 400S was not imported to the US, so I don't have any diagrams available.

What little corner of the world do you call "home"?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

@ atrent...I have an 81 450s and upon ripping down the carbs (has only 2) I found that one had the spring and 1 did not. That that was very odd. The PO included a tech shop binder that looks like it was well used back in the day and the carb rebuild section shows that the carbs do in fact have the springs.. hope this helps

have you been able to get it running? I cant seem to get mine going.

Comment

AFAIK, all CV carbs use the springs, it returns the slide to the down position.

Comment

Not all Koolaid. The ones on my 83 gs550 don't and the carbs I did for my bud's kawi 750 didn't either. Both Mikuni BS type carbs. In stead of the spring they use some of the air being "drawn" into the mouth of the carb to push the slides down.

Comment

Interesting. I learn something every day.

Comment

if it were supposed to have the spring wouldnt it have the indentation in the cap that keeps it in place...and if it wasnt supposed to shouldnt it not have that indentation?...just a thought

Comment

Working...
              X