how clean spark plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how clean spark plugs?

Need to do plug chops on my bike, that means cleaning my spark plugs. My dad always said use sand paper/wire brush, and wd-40.. but that wa for our lawn mower. Suzie is a little pickier. Any advice? Thanks.

A much wiser man than I, who has been doing these motors for way longer than me, told me once those electrodes are glazed with gas, they'll never come truely clean. Dunno if thats true or not, but the guy knows his stuff and doesnt usually talk about stuff he DOESNT know. So i tend to trust him. Besides, whats a set of plugs cost?? 10 bucks? If you need to do more than three or four chops for one area or two, you're probably too far from needing to do chops..

Comment

I use a handy device called a Visa debit card to purchase fresh and clean new plugs from the local Advance or Napa auto parts store.

For a buck eighty nine each, cleaning plugs ain't worth the time it takes.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        I use a handy device called a Visa debit card to purchase fresh and clean new plugs from the local Advance or Napa auto parts store.

For a buck eighty nine each, cleaning plugs ain't worth the time it takes.

Been waiting for that response
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I use a wideband. Initial cost: $300. Not having to do plug chops ever again: priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            I use a wideband. Initial cost: $300. Not having to do plug chops ever again: priceless.
            George you're going to convince me that I need to put this set up together... After that, you'll have to convince ROSE that I need to put this set up together...

Comment

I had a buddy who had a stock car running methanol and an old accel dual point distributor. He was constantly changing plugs and points. Funny thing was he would never throw away the old ones, he had a box full of the old parts! Not sure what the reasoniong was.
              I agree if you are close enough to right to be doing chops buy a few sets of plugs and change each time. Keep the old ones and you should never have to buy plugs again for that engine. The used ones are fine for a tune up down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                George you're going to convince me that I need to put this set up together... After that, you'll have to convince ROSE that I need to put this set up together...
                Actually, I work cheap for friends (dinner, drinks, etc.). I am currently swamped with the GPz, but when I get it on the road, we can talk. I can show you the ropes, and you can decide whether or not it is worth it for you.

Comment

That is an air/fuel ratio monitor, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by kinnet View Post
                    Good Lord Josh, don't ever lose this one...
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by kinnet View Post
                      Right you are, madam. Used the world over by serious hot rodders and tuners.
                      I've even used it on Brian's Toyota (along with my data collection laptop) to figure out that his fuel injectors were faulty.
                      The nice thing about the one I use is that it is portable, so I can use it on multiple vehicles, both 2 wheeled and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                        Good Lord Josh, don't ever lose this one...
                        Oh trust me Mike I won't let her go. She's a gem for sure. Just a shame it took me nearly ten years to make her my wife

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          Oh trust me Mike I won't let her go. She's a gem for sure. Just a shame it took me nearly ten years to make her my wife
                          Do you really think you are making her?

Comment

Do you really think you are making her?
                            Oh no.. You dont MAKE Rose do anything. For some reason, she took a shine to me.. Couldnt tell ya why.

Comment

I was looking at Innovate's LM-1. Seriously considering it, along with their AuxBox. I've always wanted a nice data logging set-up, but never could afford it when I was into cars. What sorta gear are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X