anybody ever use replacment petcocks from z1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody ever use replacment petcocks from z1

So I need a new petcock and I have the vacuum style without a lever. A new one is around $60 bucks but I was looking on Z1 and they have adapter plates for replacement petcocks that thread into them and its alot cheaper and simpler than the factory type. Just have to block off the vacuum line on the carbs.

I was just wondering if anyone else had used these.

---Eric

I have an OE type on my 850. Works just fine.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I used one of these from Z1 last year.
      I was laid up for nearly 3 months in the summer and couldn't ride. When I went to start the bike for the first time after that I found the engine was full of gas, and the petcock actually let a very small amount of fuel through even though it was off. It was enough to drain the tank in 2 months or so, as unfortunately must have also had a dodgy needle valve in one of the carbs.

I took the tap apart this winter and it really is very crude inside.
      I've now gone back to a proper Suzuki petcock.

Another issue is you have to modify the tank to fit this, so to go back to OEM you will have to fab up a plate to fit between the tank and the OEM tap.
      sigpic
      Current bikes:
      1982 GSX750EZ, 1989 CBR600F
      Previous bikes:
      More BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at
      Bultaco 350 Trials, BSA C15
      1971 BSA B25SS Gold Star 250, 1969 BSA A65 Lightning
      1976 HONDA CB750 K6

Comment

I've got an oem type from z1 on my 750L, works just fine.

Comment

Bought mine from the Bike Bandit (though I'm sure they're all built by the same company) and have had NO problems. Store it with the tank full every winter and have yet to lose a drop.

Comment

Yes, the OEM style works just great, so long as its age isn't measured in multiple decades.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have got an OEM style from Z1 on my 750. Cost about $25 from memory.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If you have never, ever, at any time in your life, EVER forgotten to do something (and I mean NEVER), then sure, get a manual petcock.

The rest of us with normal brains are much better off with OEM vacuum-operated petcocks. OEM petcocks are much better quality as well. They'll last another 20 years, easy.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefnwolf View Post

Another issue is you have to modify the tank to fit this, so to go back to OEM you will have to fab up a plate to fit between the tank and the OEM tap.

You mean a plate to go between the lever style petcock and the tank? If so thats what the first pic is.

And Im used to remembering to turn the fuel off as the wing I have uses a lever style as well.
                  ---Eric

Comment

I too am used to remembering to turn the fuel off, dirtbikes..
                    But it sure is nice not to.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      If you have never, ever, at any time in your life, EVER forgotten to do something (and I mean NEVER), then sure, get a manual petcock.

The rest of us with normal brains are much better off with OEM vacuum-operated petcocks. OEM petcocks are much better quality as well. They'll last another 20 years, easy.
                      My 1967 T200 X-5 Invader (4th bike) had a vacuum-operated petcock. I have been spoiled ever since. When I had to replace my GS petcock over the winter, I ponied up and got a stock replacement. Hopefully it will last another 25 years. Cost per year, less than $3. Cost per day, less than $0.01.

Comment

Working...
                      X