80 550L Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 550L Carb Question

TCK and I have a feeling that the choke actuation rail / choke rail / choke rod (whatever you call it) on the 550 is too short, therefore it doesn't close all the way.

I have tried to find the measurement for this piece and have come up with zilch. Does anyone know for certain how long it is, or where I can find this information? It would be much appreciated.

Are the set screws in the little indentations on the rail ? Can you push the rail over more even if the choke is closed ?

I have no idea how long it is supossed to be.....
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      Are the set screws in the little indentations on the rail ? Can you push the rail over more even if the choke is closed ?

I have no idea how long it is supossed to be.....
      It is put together correctly, but you can see dark spots on the rail where it should be sliding back further... If that makes sense. I looks to be off by 1/4" or more. I don't think that this rail is the correct one for the carbs. Boo.

Comment

Hey Rose...are the choke plungers not opening all the way OR can you not get the plungers all the way closed? No 550 handy to measure from.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          Hey Rose...are the choke plungers not opening all the way OR can you not get the plungers all the way closed? No 550 handy to measure from.
          They aren't closing all the way.

Comment

Can you get them to close with the choke cable unhooked? If not...wrong rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Can you get them to close with the choke cable unhooked? If not...wrong rod.
              I am certain it is the wrong rod. Where might a girl like me procure the correct one?

Also, in theory, if choke is staying open, this would cause it to run too rich and possibly foul plugs at idle, yes?

Comment

YES...it will run too rich. As for the rod, you may find one on flea bay OR post up a parts want thread in that section and SOMEONE better be able to come up with one.

Josh doesn't have one from an 850 that he could cut down and redrill the dimples for the set screws?

Comment

Are those BS32 carbs? That's what's on my 850. The fiche at PartShart looks like the exact same mechanism. PM if you need a measurement. My brother is in town this weekend, and I may not find this thread again.

When I had the 1000's carbs apart, I tightened the gang plates before checking that the rod would slide smoothly. I couldn't get full travel. Perhaps the PO made the same mistake and didn't realize? But then, you've already said that you're certain it's wrong. Dimple spacing doesn't match the carb spacing? Or what?

Anyhow, it looks like the rod is #75 on the fiche, which Partshark doesn't list as available. A spare out of a set of dead carbs is probably the only option. For example, Steve bought the rod out of the carbs on my '83 parts bike. Terry might have something for you from an '80 or '81 BS32. I think Steve told me they changed to the later type choke mechanism in '82.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    Are those BS32 carbs? That's what's on my 850. The fiche at PartShart looks like the exact same mechanism. PM if you need a measurement. My brother is in town this weekend, and I may not find this thread again.

When I had the 1000's carbs apart, I tightened the gang plates before checking that the rod would slide smoothly. I couldn't get full travel. Perhaps the PO made the same mistake and didn't realize? But then, you've already said that you're certain it's wrong. Dimple spacing doesn't match the carb spacing? Or what?

Anyhow, it looks like the rod is #75 on the fiche, which Partshark doesn't list as available. A spare out of a set of dead carbs is probably the only option. For example, Steve bought the rod out of the carbs on my '83 parts bike. Terry might have something for you from an '80 or '81 BS32. I think Steve told me they changed to the later type choke mechanism in '82.
                    I may have to take them apart again to figure out what exactly the problem is. I think it is the dimple spacing on the rail, but I dunno for sure.

I just know that the choke doesn't close all the way and there are markings on the rail that indicate the rod should slide further, but it doesn't.

I have a friend with the exact same bike and I am going to try and take a look at his carbs to see what the difference is between my set and his.

Comment

Originally posted by kinnet View Post
                      I may have to take them apart again to figure out what exactly the problem is. I think it is the dimple spacing on the rail, but I dunno for sure.

I just know that the choke doesn't close all the way and there are markings on the rail that indicate the rod should slide further, but it doesn't.

I have a friend with the exact same bike and I am going to try and take a look at his carbs to see what the difference is between my set and his.
                      Baby one thing you can try (I am at work folks ) is if you can get to them loosen or remove (you may have to remove them completely) the little set screws in each plungers "keeper". This will allow the plungers to slide back in free off the rod. That may actually fix the problem and at least prove that this is in fact at least part of the problem.

Comment

My tape measure says ~11-3/16" (sorry, you can convert to metric if you need). Mine's an 82, but I don't think the rail is different. The choke connection is, and I have the 80-81 parts if you need.

P.S. The rod extension on the right past the rod guide on carb #4 is about 11/16" when the choke is fully closed.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                          My tape measure says ~11-3/16" (sorry, you can convert to metric if you need). Mine's an 82, but I don't think the rail is different. The choke connection is, and I have the 80-81 parts if you need.

P.S. The rod extension on the right past the rod guide on carb #4 is about 11/16" when the choke is fully closed.
                          Ok well let me ask you this if you don't mind Mike: I don't have another set of 550 carbs to compare to but allthe other cv types I have the choke plungers retract so the the keeper is almost touching the rubber hat on the plunger. On the 550 the plungers only go back far enough so that about >1/4 inch is still sticking out. Doesn't look right but I dunno if they are just a bit different. Can you confirm that they retract as much as others or is this the same on yours?

Comment

Somethng else to consider too Rose is that the rod itself may be tweaked or distorted somewhat and causing it to bind... If you pull the rod it should be straight as an arrow. Roll it on somehing flat if it wobbles it's tweaked.

Comment

I am pullin the carbs so I can get the rod out. There's no other way. I'm sweaty and irritated because they won't cooperate. I may try persuading them with a shot gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X