Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the trick to the airbox re-install??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's the trick to the airbox re-install??

'81 GS1000GL

Seriously, you'd think it'd be easy: unscrew clamp to open gaskets and slide on, but no.

What's the deal?

Thanks..

lmao, im in the process of putting mine back in and said the same thing.

Comment

Trash it and get some pods!
      Just kidding..
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Patience, swearing, more swearing.....
        If the rubber boot are not soft its gonna be a good fight.
        You can soften them in hot water just before putting then on the airbox.
        Marc
        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
          Patience, swearing, more swearing.....
          If the rubber boot are not soft its gonna be a good fight.
          You can soften them in hot water just before putting then on the airbox.
          Marc
          Or a hairdryer...

BTW, if the boots are old enough, and hard in any way, a lot of times they shrink back toward the airbox, and then the center two wont mount up properly. Best to buy new ones..

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            Trash it and get some pods!
            Just kidding..
            LOL, IM LOOKING INTO THEM AS WE SPEAK....dam fricken plastic box, rrr....

Comment

lol been there. i sprayed wd-40 on my finger and spreaded it on the carbs and inside of boots. after taking the air box out 5 times i bought pod filters. o ya by the way X2 on the swearing. beer helps calm the nervs a little also

Comment

Just get pods and send me your airbox, Ill see If I can figure it out.
                ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
                  LOL, IM LOOKING INTO THEM AS WE SPEAK....dam fricken plastic box, rrr....
                  Better look into a Dynojet kit along with it or you'll have worse problems than a plastic box...

Comment

Airbox experience…no that's not a band.

Yes the first couple a times it is a learning experience. But some of the tips so far work.
                    #1. heat up the boots with a hairdryer, and grease them.
                    #2 No short cuts, get stuff out of the way, you'll have to learn what stuff.
                    #3 There is a trick about how to push the carbs in, but after about 10-20 tries you'll be know how to do that very well.
                    Welcome Bro.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

thanks for all of the replies, gentlemen.

I will try the heating up method.

Plus the upper mounting brackets seem to get in the way as well.

What are pods?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Better look into a Dynojet kit along with it or you'll have worse problems than a plastic box...
                        was reading up on that, may have to try a little harder gettin that dang airbox in, seems like alot of trouble with those pods. i do have a heat gun waiting in the wings....lol

Comment

you know,Suzuki builds the best and the fastest bikes, hands down. So why couldn't the come up with a better air box? I've found it easier to put the air box in then the carbs. still a pita tho.

Comment

Shaftie airboxes are DEAD EASY to remove and replace.

IF you install new boots.

Order up some new airbox/carb boots. You'll be amazed at how shrunken and hard to old ones are. You'll wonder why you didn't do this first.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Shaftie airboxes are DEAD EASY to remove and replace.

IF you install new boots.

Order up some new airbox/carb boots. You'll be amazed at how shrunken and hard to old ones are. You'll wonder why you didn't do this first.
                              Word!

I recently refurbished my air intake system. My carbs practically jumped into the new intake boots. My airbox was so compliant I didn't have to utter a single profanity. Really! Yes, they are a little pricey to buy all at once but you will not have to do it again for another 25 years or so. I think it's well worth it.

Reference:

Air Intake Repair:Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X