Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the trick to the airbox re-install??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+ 3, time for new intake boots. There is a slight angle going in that does make it easier. Other than that as long as you feed it in working around the harness wires it is an easy install. Be careful with the snorkel, you can knock it out of position if you try to force it.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Better look into a Dynojet kit along with it or you'll have worse problems than a plastic box...
      I'd rejet all day long to avoid messing with a darned airbox.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Yes the first couple a times it is a learning experience. But some of the tips so far work.
        #1. heat up the boots with a hairdryer, and grease them.
        Well I don't own a hair dryer, no need
        Couple weeks ago, I R & R'd my first set of carbs on my airboxed GS700. Pretty tough to remove. I did grease the inner lips of the boots before reinstalling the new set, just seemed like common sense. By the way, Super Lube, 100% synthetic is pricey, but fantastic stuff. And it's clear.

Now to figure out why it still runs like a piece of ****

Comment

well i got mine on and yep it is pretty easy if you ziptie the airbox nice and tight to the seat hooks....lol...i greased everything like everyone said and also used my heatgun to soften all the boots up, dont own a hairdryer either im half bald....lol...but it wasent to bad..thennnnn i ran into an issue, when i moved my clutch cable out of the way i put it through the wrong two carb boots to the head, ummmmmm is there a way to take this off and move it around?......dam i thought i had this too.....lmao

Comment

Just one of those things

I just shove that buggerd into possition (carbs) squishing the boots on the air box side then push cabs into boots on head. Then play with the more plyable air box side to get them onto the carbs. I concur with cussing and possibly stopping at some point to get another beer .

Comment

clutch cable is moved, wooohoooooo.....they are in there....

Comment

Shaft drive 850cc+ airboxes are soooo easy, it takes longer to install pods. The airbox goes in and out from the right side of the bike.

If you want to compare install times for an airbox with bad boots, then the 4 pods need to have bad boots too

Any other GS airbox, .................

takes practice (and good boots)

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                  Shaft drive 850cc+ airboxes are soooo easy, it takes longer to install pods. The airbox goes in and out from the right side of the bike.

If you want to compare install times for an airbox with bad boots, then the 4 pods need to have bad boots too

Any other GS airbox, .................

takes practice (and good boots)

What he said. I can have GS shaftie carbs in or out in 10 minutes or less, easy. All other models, fuhgeddaboutit.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Take the airbox mount bolts out. That allows the box to move back about 3/8". use a silicon spray on rock hard boots, heat with a hair dryer,respray then start pushing and shoving. It helps to have a hooked tool like a cotter key remover to help the rubber lip over the carb bell. Start on one side and work your way across. Patience is the key.

Comment

Working...
                    X