Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Adjustment

Guys I need some more help,

We've got the 1980 GS 550 running but we can't figure out the idle adjustment under the carbs. Can anyone give me assistance as to which direction to turn the valve? Or better yet, what does this do? It stops if you turn it clockwise but does not stop when turned counter-clockwise.

I know that is a general question... But sitting on the right side of the bike, what would twisting it foward or backward do?

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM.

Originally posted by kparrott View Post
    Guys I need some more help,

We've got the 1980 GS 550 running but we can't figure out the idle adjustment under the carbs. Can anyone give me assistance as to which direction to turn the valve?

I know that is a general question... But sitting on the right side of the bike, what would twisting it foward or backward do?

Thanks again guys!
    it cracks open the throttle butterflys
    mine would increase engine rpm if i was to twist it to the right and lowers to the left

you are looking at a carb part and not the cam chain tensioner i hope

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
      it cracks open the throttle butterflys
      mine would increase engine rpm if i was to twist it to the right and lowers to the left

you are looking at a carb part and not the cam chain tensioner i hope

What/Where is the cam chain tensioner?

Comment

it well er um adjusts the cam cahin tension and should never be touched

its rather large and it bolts onto the engine cylinder block

the isle adjustment is attached to the ceral part of the carburetor rack

dude dowmnload the manual form basscliff its far to valuable a resource to be without

Comment

This is something that freaked the living hell out of me... I mean I LOVE my GS850... but WHY did the designer make something so important NOT TO TOUCH so inviting to touch?!

p.s. Bikecliff's website has a carb description that shows you where the idle adjust is... it is attached to the carbs and is a small wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
            This is something that freaked the living hell out of me... I mean I LOVE my GS850... but WHY did the designer make something so important NOT TO TOUCH so inviting to touch?!

it seems its the way of nature

some of the engine builders here use manual tensioners and there is a reason to take them apart and check them but yeah why put a big twisty dial out for any curious kid to tamper with

Comment

Calvin,

Yeah we are messing with the adjustment screw right under the carbs.

I think a problem we may have is the air filter is not on and it is getting to much air. We will try again tomorrow...

I've got BassCliff's website manual.

Comment

Calvin,

Yeah we are messing with the adjustment screw right under the carbs.

I think a problem we may have is the air filter is not on and it is getting to much air. We will try again tomorrow...

I've got BassCliff's website manual.

air box is essential for a bike that is jetted for it
                you likely are running lean

Comment

Maintenance Illustrations

Hi,

FYI:

We've got lots more where those came from.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Dang Cliff, nice work there! You amaze me.

Now you need my super killer "how to avoid snapping off the float post photo"!

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                    X